Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Post quilt retreats here so we can join in the fun! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/post-quilt-retreats-here-so-we-can-join-fun-t34159.html)

kwhite 01-16-2010 07:22 AM

I am going to my first retreat on Friday the 22nd. It is a sorta retreat anyway. A bunch of friends are getting together at a hunting camp here and we are going to eat too much laugh too hard and sew sew sew!!! I sew can't wait.

pamsmpk 01-16-2010 08:46 AM

My guild does two retreats a year (spring and fall) at a semi-local (about an hour's drive) FFA/FHA camp. It is a beautiful area and very reasonable. I think around $135 for Thurs-Sun with nine meals included and semi-private rooms. I usually share with my sister. One of my favorite things is that we have a masseuse or two come out on Saturday and do massages in a quiet dark room just off our sewing area, It is $1.00 a minute so some people may do a 10 min massage...but I always go for an hour!! It feels great to have someone rub all those kinks out after sewing non-stop for "sew" long. It is usually open to only guild members unless it doesn't fill up, then it is opened to others.

DONK 01-16-2010 08:52 AM

Do they have any in southern ohio?

Scissor Queen 01-16-2010 09:12 AM

I belong to an online yahoo group that has a retreat once a year or so and a small guild that has a once a year retreat.

The online group goes to a private hunting lodge during their open season. I think this group is limited to 24 because of the sewing space.

The small guild goes to a church camp after camping season is over. This group is limited to 18 because of sleeping space.

Both of them are a whole lot of fun.

I think it would be great to organize a retreat or two for people on this board to meet and have fun!!

brushandthimble 01-16-2010 09:59 AM

I go to two girls weekends, we are down to 4 of us, and we bring our sewing machines and sew, sew, sew, eat, shop, and sew some more. We all usually get alot accomplished. Not really a retreat but close enough until I get a real one.

SewExtremeSeams 01-16-2010 10:18 AM

Wow, Pam (pamsmpk) your retreat sounds great. And what a great idea to have a masseuse. Frequently I get a massage after a six hour sewing class. It really helps relax everything.

Anna O 01-16-2010 01:55 PM

Retreat's are a blast! I started attending many years ago and am now a retreat teacher. There are a lot of options and it's pretty much up to the organizer how it goes. Every quilter deserves to go to at least one every year!

vickig626 01-16-2010 05:46 PM

I've been wanting to go to this retreat. I'm in SE Michigan and know how beautiful that area is, especially in summer. Sounds like lots of fun...

Marlys 01-17-2010 09:39 AM

I totally agree! I would be willing to travel to meet some of you wonderful quilters! I enjoy getting together with my friends here for classes or retreats, but it would be a blast to actually meet some of you!
I have been to retreats that are 4 days of classes and I have been to a couple that you just bring your own projects and sew. Both kinds have their merits. I think it all depends on your budget at the time.

SewExtremeSeams 01-17-2010 01:47 PM

Yes, Marlys, a retreat sounds great. The challenge would be individuals' budgets and a central location. Wouldn't a fabric exchange of some sort be fun too?