Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Postage Stamp Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/postage-stamp-quilts-t109081.html)

natalieg 03-19-2011 09:17 PM

I have always admired these quilts. My understanding is that they are made with 1 1/2" squares, finishing off at 1". I had been collecting 1 1/2" squares forever when I discovered that I had to prewash all my fabric. I had MANY other already cut sizes and decided to PIF them here and start over again. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

What I am curious about is do you use any and all cotton fabrics, or do you mix pastels and darks, anything goes, or kind of stick with one type of thing? I want to make one but since I am starting over with scraps again, it will be awhile away.

grammysews4u 03-19-2011 09:26 PM

I always say "your quilt your rules" but thats just me. I would treat it like a scrappy quilt and use what I want!

suebee 03-19-2011 09:29 PM

Try the brown bag method. Just toss all your squares in a brown bag and pull them out one by one. I love scrappy!

Painiacs 03-19-2011 10:05 PM

Sorry you had to start all over! Didn't know u had to pre wash! Maybe if u asked on here ppl will send scraps. I would!! Good luck!!

quiltsRfun 03-19-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

Is there a 3" die? Then hand cut them in quarters. That would make it a little easier.

EasyPeezy 03-19-2011 11:26 PM

You could sew 1.5" strips together then cut. It doesn't have to be full width.
Even 5" strips would give you three pairs. Depends how much variety you
want and how many fabrics you are using.

cheryl rearick 03-20-2011 01:00 AM

Someone told me on the 1 1/2" it didn't mater if somewere washed or not. Is this true? Thanks... There is also a group on here who exchange fabric pre cut for the stanp quilt. Have you looked under swaps. Good luck. :)

Aimee G 03-20-2011 01:20 AM

I used 2" blocks & just threw them all in a basket, pulled out a handful & sewed them together. I've seen people use jelly rolls & sew the strips together then rotary cut.

ckcowl 03-20-2011 01:27 AM

you do NOT HAVE TO PRE-WASH ALL OF YOUR FABRICS.
Some people do, some don't-- all make great quilts...the only reason to really (stress) over pre-washing is if you have a fabric that may run (bleed)...and you can test as you go along for those...checking reds (which are the bigest culprits)or handdyes/batiks;;;
i would not be starting over, there is nothing wrong with the 1 1/2" squares you already have!

Nolee 03-20-2011 02:38 AM

I don't even know how in the world you have the patience to do one of these.....I admire you. Ii would be in the mental ward!!