Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Postage Stamp Quilts

I have always admired these quilts. My understanding is that they are made with 1 1/2" squares, finishing off at 1". I had been collecting 1 1/2" squares forever when I discovered that I had to prewash all my fabric. I had MANY other already cut sizes and decided to PIF them here and start over again. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

What I am curious about is do you use any and all cotton fabrics, or do you mix pastels and darks, anything goes, or kind of stick with one type of thing? I want to make one but since I am starting over with scraps again, it will be awhile away.

I always say "your quilt your rules" but thats just me. I would treat it like a scrappy quilt and use what I want!

Try the brown bag method. Just toss all your squares in a brown bag and pull them out one by one. I love scrappy!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you had to start all over! Didn't know u had to pre wash! Maybe if u asked on here ppl will send scraps. I would!! Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by natalieg
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.
    Is there a 3" die? Then hand cut them in quarters. That would make it a little easier.

You could sew 1.5" strips together then cut. It doesn't have to be full width.
    Even 5" strips would give you three pairs. Depends how much variety you
    want and how many fabrics you are using.

Someone told me on the 1 1/2" it didn't mater if somewere washed or not. Is this true? Thanks... There is also a group on here who exchange fabric pre cut for the stanp quilt. Have you looked under swaps. Good luck. :)

I used 2" blocks & just threw them all in a basket, pulled out a handful & sewed them together. I've seen people use jelly rolls & sew the strips together then rotary cut.

Blog Entries
    you do NOT HAVE TO PRE-WASH ALL OF YOUR FABRICS.
    Some people do, some don't-- all make great quilts...the only reason to really (stress) over pre-washing is if you have a fabric that may run (bleed)...and you can test as you go along for those...checking reds (which are the bigest culprits)or handdyes/batiks;;;
    i would not be starting over, there is nothing wrong with the 1 1/2" squares you already have!

I don't even know how in the world you have the patience to do one of these.....I admire you. Ii would be in the mental ward!!

Blog Entries
    I think it's up to the quilter to prewash or not. As grammiesews4u said...it's your quilt so your rules.

I once saw a Postage Stamp quilt that was made way, way back. The pieces were cut and sewn by hand and finished at approximately 1" but there were lots of repeats. Back then, every scrap counted and nothing was wasted.

Blog Entries
    I would not prewash what you have. After the top is done, you can wash the entire thing with a color grabber for anything that might bleed. Using different types of fabrics gives the quilt character :-D

Blog Entries
    I use 1 1/4" blocks for mine. I bought some cork boards at walmart and glued them to a board, covered them with felt. I lay my blocks out on the board until the colors please my eye.I then stick a pin in the blocks so the fan doesn;t blow them away before I sew them. Mine is in the trip around the world pattern.

Blog Entries
    there is a 1 1/2 inch strip die that you can use to cut them into squares

I make a lot of scrappy quilts and don't prewash. Haven't had a complaint yet.

You can join in the Postage Stamp Swaps here on the board. There are several per year. Another is coming soon!
    If you PM me your address, I can send you some squares. :)

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I miss your avatar, Carolaug!

Blog Entries
    I love yours...he/she is soooo cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I miss your avatar, Carolaug!

Oops! I guess I should explain a little better. I have already gotten rid of all the unwashed scraps....about 60 pounds worth....boxes full.
    I have extreme allergies to the formaldehyde and can only last in a quilt shop for about 15 minutes before I have to leave. I notice in the past 6 months or so it seems to be getting even shorter and shorter on the time...I do a lot of shopping online. I can go in the LQS and find a line I like and usually find it cheaper online, so that works.

The Accuquilt Studio has a 1-1/2" die (#50601). I searched the Go dies, but you are right they only go to 2". If it is important that you be able to use the die cutter, I'd just go up the half inch. It will look just as fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    The Accuquilt Studio has a 1-1/2" die (#50601). I searched the Go dies, but you are right they only go to 2". If it is important that you be able to use the die cutter, I'd just go up the half inch. It will look just as fabulous.
    Not that important, just always wanted to do 1 1/2"...if I continue cutting my scraps down like I have, I should be there in a few years again!!! LOL

"You can join in the Postage Stamp Swaps here on the board. There are several per year. Another is coming soon!
    If you PM me your address, I can send you some squares."

When this group does a Postage Stamp square swap, is it only for 1 1/2" squares. I'm doing 2" squares, so would be interested in that size swap.

Blog Entries
    My MIL made 4 of these last year and she just used strips. She did one row of a color and one row of white or cream so that the blocks would be one color one white and so forth. She used all her scrap up. We all had favorite colors and mine is blue so she used a blue border and all the blue in the quilt stands out. The one she did for herself she used a red boarder and all the reds pop in the quilt. My other SIL's wanted a green one and a yellow one so they all look so different but she used the same blocks in all of them. They are all so beautiful and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
    My MIL made 4 of these last year and she just used strips. She did one row of a color and one row of white or cream so that the blocks would be one color one white and so forth. She used all her scrap up. We all had favorite colors and mine is blue so she used a blue border and all the blue in the quilt stands out. The one she did for herself she used a red boarder and all the reds pop in the quilt. My other SIL's wanted a green one and a yellow one so they all look so different but she used the same blocks in all of them. They are all so beautiful and unique.
    This sounds very interesting, do you have a pic you could post of one of the quilts.

Never prewash...don't like losing the sizing already in the fabric

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast