Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which Pre-Cut is most useful? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-cut-most-useful-t203684.html)

wishfulthinking 10-19-2012 04:05 PM

Which Pre-Cut is most useful?

Which pre-cut do you think is most useful, charm packs, layer cakes, or jelly rolls? And what is your favorite pattern for your choice?

wishfulthinking 10-19-2012 04:06 PM

I didn't include fat quarter bundles on purpose.

ZugZug 10-19-2012 04:15 PM

I usually by yardage or fat quarters when quilting, although I have several layer cakes, jelly rolls and charm packs on my "want" list. I think it is a toss up between the layer cakes and the jelly rolls for me....ok probably the Layer Cake. I can always cut a layer cake down to the charm size, and I typically need triangles, squares, etc and not strips (and it always seems I need a 3" + sized item so cant cut that from the jelly roll). I think they all have their places, but for me the Layer cake is the best fit when dealing with pre-cuts.

DebraK 10-19-2012 04:28 PM

I've only purchased one jelly roll. I was not impressed enough to purchase another. Fat quarter bundles would probably be as small as I go ever again, and only if it was to acquire variety within a color range or fabric line for a particular project.

BellaBoo 10-19-2012 04:31 PM

I like the new precuts Twice the Charm packs.
5 1/2" by 22"

EasyPeezy 10-19-2012 04:39 PM

I don't think there's one pre-cut that's more useful than another. It all depends on
what pattern you will be using it for and how big your project will be. I suggest
choosing your pattern before buying pre-cuts. I don't know how many times I
bought jelly rolls then find I should have bought (let's say) 1 jelly roll and 1 layer
cake instead of 2 jelly rolls. They are not always interchangeable. So, choose
your pattern first then you can make a wiser decision on buying pre-cuts.
There are lots of free patterns at modabakeshop.com for pre-cuts.
I also like the books from Pam and Nicky Lintott. Check on Amazon.
I don't think I have a favorite pattern...too many to choose from. LOL

franc36 10-19-2012 04:48 PM

I love both layer cakes and jelly rolls when I want to make a quilt in a hurry. My favorite pattern for layer cakes is Jenny Doan's "Alternating Squares". Her "Jelly Cakes" which uses both is another favorite. I enjoyed the 2012 Jelly Roll Quilt Along. There are so many fun quilts that can be quickly made with percuts! I have lots of charm packs; but haven't gotten around to using any of them.

ShabbyTabby 10-19-2012 04:56 PM

I like all three....cutting is hard for me so pre-cuts are great. Now that being said, I am beginning to find the pre-cuts are getting too expensive. So I have to find them on a good sale before buying very many. I love so many of the new fabrics but the prices are getting beyond my wallet!!! Thank goodness I had a BIG stash built up before this past year. Fabric prices are getting higher and higher so quiltng is becoming

wishfulthinking 10-20-2012 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replies! As you may have guessed, I was asking the question because I've recently seen some jelly rolls I thought I couldn't live without and was trying to justify the purchase! Unfortunately, I have other jelly rolls acquired for the same reason, that I've never figured out how to use. Just reading your responses gave me the time & distance I needed to remember that I have truck loads of fabric already & I don't need to be buying more. Thanks QB!

nanna-up-north 10-20-2012 05:51 AM

I bought 1 jelly-roll and made a quilt for my great grandbaby..... I ended up cutting every strip because I didn't like the zig-zag edge much. ..... where is the 1/4" edge??? So, I just buy fabric and cut it myself..... I'm old-fashioned, I guess but it works for me.