Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing FQs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fqs-t135765.html)

BluegrassGurl 07-07-2011 04:27 AM

I pre-wash everything for the same reason as others have voiced... given the time and effort I invest in a project, I do not want any surprises in the end.

I hand wash small pieces (fat quarter and below) and iron dry.

QuiltnNan 07-07-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
...i'd rather cut my own pre-cuts after pre-washing- that way i know my 2 1/2" strips are going to be 2 1/2"...and my fq's are going to be 18"x20"

me too. and my shapes won't go wonky

Glassquilt 07-07-2011 05:00 AM

I pre-wash for the same reasons. Material is the cheapest part of a quilt if you consider your time at minimum wage. (federal: $7.25hr). The thought of having my work ruined by one of the fabrics bleeding is enough for me to take the time to wash everything.

Geri B 07-07-2011 05:06 AM

I do the hot water/Dawn in measuring cup test.....really works......BUT, I only test anything primarily red or navy blue...those are the ones that seem to bleed if they're going to bleed....and actually I seem to stay away from those.....I do not pre wash anything else for quilts, but if I am doing a tablerunner or placemats I will pre-rinse fabric with hot water so the finished product does not pucker in the future (use poly thin batt).

cowpie2 07-07-2011 05:22 AM

I prewash FQ. I've done tests with both FQ and yardage and found some of the shrinkage is enough that my finished project would have been terribly wonky. I envy those that don't and have not had problems. But since I mostly hand quilt and it takes me 6+ months to finish a quilt I don't want to risk any odd shrinkage. Also, I know the quilts I make will end up in the wash and the dryer with no special handling so pre-washing is a must.

If I were making something for display or knew that it would only be gently washed and laid out to dry I wouldn't worry about pre-washing.

0tis 07-07-2011 05:50 AM

No prewash for me - I do wash the quilt after I finish so far no problems.

grammysharon 07-07-2011 06:43 AM

I pre-wash in a mesh bag. :wink:

bearisgray 07-07-2011 07:48 AM

I finish the raw edges (either serge or zigzag) of the FQs and wash them.

Look at the threads after they are washed - they probably are trying to be perpendicular to each other.

If the fabric got misaligned during the processing, it was probably wound on the bolt off-grain. When it was cut, it was probably cut perpendicular to the fold or selvage - but the crosswise threads may or may not have been perpendicular to the selvages.

Which is why the FQ looks "wonky" after is is washed. It went back to what is "normal" for that piece of fabric.

Doreen 07-07-2011 07:56 AM

I don't prewash anything. I've never had problems

happymrs 07-07-2011 08:07 AM

I prewash, in cold water, using delicate cycle & the little bags for delicates, & softner, then trim any threads & toss them in the dryer. Then I fold them & mine usually come out square. I don't iron them till I am ready to use them, then only iron what area I need....