Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing FQs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fqs-t135765.html)

PrettyCurious 07-07-2011 02:07 AM

Do ya do it or not?
I do, cuz I prewash everything, new or 2nd hand, but I find FQ's don't seem to come out very square. It is cuz they're cheap? or do all FQs lose their shape?

carolaug 07-07-2011 02:16 AM

I prewash. I work too hard on my quilts to not prewash them...they do shrink and bleed. I do not prewash my batting so I still get a nice crinkle look.

loves_2_quilt 07-07-2011 02:56 AM

I am a pre-washer so I put my FQs in a bag and wash/dry as usual. I know of people who wash them by hand.

alikat110 07-07-2011 03:12 AM

Depends on material

ckcowl 07-07-2011 03:16 AM

since all woven fabrics (if they shrink) will shrink more in one direction than the other it is normal for fabric to be a bit (mis-shaped) after washing/drying. many people who choose to pre=wash pre-cuts find this happening- it can be quite bad with 5" charm squares-
when pre-washing yardage you simply don't notice it as much it is not as big a deal....that's why if you contact the fabric manufacturers and ask they will tell you they do not recommend pre-washing any pre-cuts- they say they are meant to be used as they are- pre=washing is not necessary ...
they simply do not understand that (some of us) always pre-wash- regardless---
so we have to live with the results of our (not-recommended) decision.
one of the big reasons i seldom spend my hard earned $$ on pre-cuts...the frustration (and waste) seems to outweigh the convienience for me....i'd rather cut my own pre-cuts after pre-washing- that way i know my 2 1/2" strips are going to be 2 1/2"...and my fq's are going to be 18"x20"

tupoms 07-07-2011 03:20 AM

Did it once. Threads everywhere. What a mess!

gollytwo 07-07-2011 03:30 AM

I rarely prewash anything; use a colour catcher in the first couple of quilt washes.
If I feel I need to wash FQs I do it by hand in the sink. They're too distorted by machine washing, even in a lingere (bad spelling) bag

GingerK 07-07-2011 03:38 AM

I am also a prewasher. Have had too many fabrics bleed like stuck pigs. Fat quarters and fabrics from BOM's get a quick rinse with hot water. If the piece is really small, I'll even iron it dry instead of using the dryer. I care more about not ruining my finished product, than losing an inch of fabric.

emerald46 07-07-2011 04:21 AM

I only prewash yardage. Use color catcher.

chairjogger 07-07-2011 04:25 AM

fabric bleeds.. absolutely !!! small stuff, I use .. OK.. will get a lot of flack from this.. but really does test the fabric.

Dawn dish soap in a 6 cup glass measuring cup under the facet.. in hot water..

really does test the fabric and can see right away if it will be a problem.. some just washes out.. and clear water then is what comes after the soap is gone..

I don't want to chance some fabric running color.. too much work !

Larger sizes, I wash normally, and dry normally.