Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preparing to Quilt a large fused piece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preparing-quilt-large-fused-piece-t303987.html)

Kcmomto2 04-02-2019 06:01 PM

Preparing to Quilt a large fused piece

So, I’m looking into what issues I need to be alert for as I prepare to use the long arm to quilt a very large wall hanging, the top of which is a collaged background of smallish (2”ish x 4-6”ish) batik pieces fused to a muslin base. The fusible has some body to it, and the edges of each small piece are very slightly overlapped-not more than 1/16-1/8” it seemed. The whole thing is rollable, though not currently tightly rolled while it’s waiting, so it does have some flexibility. Just not your normal pieced top. Cotton/poly batt and standard quilt weight backing. Cotton machine quilting thread. What should I be prepared for? Any search results only talk about stitching the edges of fused appliqué, not stitching edge-to-edge over everything. Trying not to psych myself out, because I know I can do it! Some things I’ve already considered: tighter roll as it’s loaded on the frame might pop the edges of some of the pieces; prominent needle holes (yikes); thread breakage...Suggestions? Or do I just go for it??!! I’m excited!

Kcmomto2 04-02-2019 07:01 PM

So weird. When I look at my post above, it looks like there’s been a link created to a store page. I did not do that. Just want to make that clear if any of the rest of you see that, too. Wasn’t me!

Peckish 04-02-2019 07:21 PM

I don't see it, but I have ad blocking software installed.

My main concern about a fused quilt is the kind of fusible. Some brands gum up the needle. I don't use fusible, so hopefully someone will come along who does use it and can be more helpful.

Homespun 04-03-2019 03:47 AM

I had to purchase special needles to sew on fused fabric. I got them off Amazon: Schmetz Super Universal 70/10

Pam S 04-03-2019 04:30 AM

Stop and clean needle frequently with an alcohol wipe to get the adhesive off. To avoid skipped stitches, you may need to go slower.

Watson 04-03-2019 07:29 AM

I'm no expert, but I would say to try to keep it rolled on the long arm for as short a period as possible. Clean your needle often. Not sure which fusible you're using...I use Steam a Seam 2 Lite on a mid arm and have very little trouble with it.
Hopefully some long armers can chime in.

Watson

kheliwud 04-03-2019 10:35 AM

You don’t need to be concerned about the edges of the collaged pieces if you stitch it close enough together. Since it is a wall hanging, your typical quilting designs will be enough.

I have never had any problem with my needle getting sticky, I use the Titanium coated long arm needles in a 100/16 or 110/18 size. I also used invisible thread, no problem there either.

Friday1961 04-04-2019 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 (Post 8235047)
So weird. When I look at my post above, it looks like there’s been a link created to a store page. I did not do that. Just want to make that clear if any of the rest of you see that, too. Wasn’t me!

I see those all the time. Certain words trigger a link that if clicked, takes you to an ad for something related.

Ellen 1 04-04-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 (Post 8235047)

I clicked on it just for grins.....it goes to Toyota. Too bad they/anyone can pirate your post!!!

quiltingshorttimer 04-05-2019 09:42 PM

I'd also recommend that while stitching through the fusible, you slow down some and also I'd probably use a poly Thread instead of cotton-the poly is strongger.