Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Preparing to Quilt a large fused piece

Preparing to Quilt a large fused piece

So, I’m looking into what issues I need to be alert for as I prepare to use the long arm to quilt a very large wall hanging, the top of which is a collaged background of smallish (2”ish x 4-6”ish) batik pieces fused to a muslin base. The fusible has some body to it, and the edges of each small piece are very slightly overlapped-not more than 1/16-1/8” it seemed. The whole thing is rollable, though not currently tightly rolled while it’s waiting, so it does have some flexibility. Just not your normal pieced top. Cotton/poly batt and standard quilt weight backing. Cotton machine quilting thread. What should I be prepared for? Any search results only talk about stitching the edges of fused appliqué, not stitching edge-to-edge over everything. Trying not to psych myself out, because I know I can do it! Some things I’ve already considered: tighter roll as it’s loaded on the frame might pop the edges of some of the pieces; prominent needle holes (yikes); thread breakage...Suggestions? Or do I just go for it??!! I’m excited!

So weird. When I look at my post above, it looks like there’s been a link created to a store page. I did not do that. Just want to make that clear if any of the rest of you see that, too. Wasn’t me!

Blog Entries
    I don't see it, but I have ad blocking software installed.

My main concern about a fused quilt is the kind of fusible. Some brands gum up the needle. I don't use fusible, so hopefully someone will come along who does use it and can be more helpful.

I had to purchase special needles to sew on fused fabric. I got them off Amazon: Schmetz Super Universal 70/10
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Stop and clean needle frequently with an alcohol wipe to get the adhesive off. To avoid skipped stitches, you may need to go slower.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I'm no expert, but I would say to try to keep it rolled on the long arm for as short a period as possible. Clean your needle often. Not sure which fusible you're using...I use Steam a Seam 2 Lite on a mid arm and have very little trouble with it.
    Hopefully some long armers can chime in.

Watson

You don’t need to be concerned about the edges of the collaged pieces if you stitch it close enough together. Since it is a wall hanging, your typical quilting designs will be enough.

I have never had any problem with my needle getting sticky, I use the Titanium coated long arm needles in a 100/16 or 110/18 size. I also used invisible thread, no problem there either.
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 View Post
    So weird. When I look at my post above, it looks like there’s been a link created to a store page. I did not do that. Just want to make that clear if any of the rest of you see that, too. Wasn’t me!
    I see those all the time. Certain words trigger a link that if clicked, takes you to an ad for something related.
    Last edited by Friday1961; 04-04-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 View Post
    I clicked on it just for grins.....it goes to Toyota. Too bad they/anyone can pirate your post!!!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd also recommend that while stitching through the fusible, you slow down some and also I'd probably use a poly Thread instead of cotton-the poly is strongger.

I have never had a problem but always use light fusible..