View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Kcmomto2

Default Preparing to Quilt a large fused piece

So, I’m looking into what issues I need to be alert for as I prepare to use the long arm to quilt a very large wall hanging, the top of which is a collaged background of smallish (2”ish x 4-6”ish) batik pieces fused to a muslin base. The fusible has some body to it, and the edges of each small piece are very slightly overlapped-not more than 1/16-1/8” it seemed. The whole thing is rollable, though not currently tightly rolled while it’s waiting, so it does have some flexibility. Just not your normal pieced top. Cotton/poly batt and standard quilt weight backing. Cotton machine quilting thread. What should I be prepared for? Any search results only talk about stitching the edges of fused appliqué, not stitching edge-to-edge over everything. Trying not to psych myself out, because I know I can do it! Some things I’ve already considered: tighter roll as it’s loaded on the frame might pop the edges of some of the pieces; prominent needle holes (yikes); thread breakage...Suggestions? Or do I just go for it??!! I’m excited!