Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The price of fabrics. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-fabrics-t16951.html)

mar32428 02-27-2009 12:18 PM

Some Walmarts are still carrying fabric.

BlueChicken 02-27-2009 12:23 PM

It's a really good point actually, maybe I do need to adjust my thinking somewhat.

I bought a kit really cheap a while ago, on sale, and just "threw it" together as a couch quilt for the kids. It wasn't quite big enough so grabbed some extra fabric that matched and just extended either end to make it bigger.

It turned out nicely, but is for "using", so between the kids and the dogs I don't expect it to last forever, and I won't scream when I find my six year wrapping the wet dog in it so she doesn't get cold! LOL

It didn't cost a lot to make, with the kit being super cheap, but I still like it. I could have bought really cheap fabrics and made something similar.

mar32428 02-27-2009 12:24 PM

We have the American Sewing Quild here in the US. It's national. In Florida, we have many retired people. When a wife dies, the husband gets in touch with an ASG ember and donates boxes and boxes of her leftover stash. We use a lot of it for charity quilts since we have so many nursing homes here.

Sometimes, we will divy it up among ourselves. We also have fabric trades. Somebody's "Why did I buy that?" will always look good to someone else.

butterflywing 02-27-2009 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I've just been reading about someone picking up some fabrics for $3 a yard.

I nearly fell off my chair! We can only dream of those sorts of prices here.

Good quality quilting fabric costs anywhere between $24 - $28 a metre (which is only a fraction longer than a yard).

We have a bargain / bulk fabric store, but the material is generally of lesser quality, and often not worth it. Every now and then there is good quality fabric at a bargain price, but they're few and far between.

I have bought online, and off ebay, but once the exchange rate and postage is added in, it's only slightly cheaper.

Hancocks of Paducah is having a sale this weekend - no shipping. i don't know how this translates into overseas, but check on it.

Jeannie 02-27-2009 12:58 PM

I shop yard sales, Goodwill and Salvation Army all of the time and find some great things to use. I do wash all of it.
If you have a place close by that sells fabric for curtains, etc and they have all of the samples to chose from....ask if you can have them or pay just a little for them. The fabric companies generally send reps in twice a year to weed out the discontinued fabric. Many shops throw them away. I have a lot of it and use it all the time.
A local upholstery shop saves me all of their scraps which are wonderful. A bit heavy for a quilt but perfect for a purse.

butterflywing 02-27-2009 01:01 PM

another resource is wallpaper stores. many wallpaper books have matching fabric samples glued right in. when the book is outdated (all the time) they get thrown away. ask if they will save them for you. mine does.

Jeannie 02-27-2009 01:02 PM

Great idea!

butterflywing 02-27-2009 01:08 PM

boy oh boy!

we quilters have got to be the most frugal people on earth! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

jbud2 02-27-2009 01:14 PM

Our area Walmart threatened to close their fabric department a couple years ago. There was a big letter and emailing campaign and they kept the Fabric! Yeah! Now the new Walmart about 6 miles down the road does not carry fabric.

I agree that Walmart has some good fabric. I depend on how it feels. If it doesn't slide over my fingers, it doesn't slide in to my cart!!

BellaBoo 02-27-2009 02:39 PM

I don't mind at all making a quilt from cheaper fabric. I love the process and I'm proud of the finished product because I made it from start to finish. I buy nice printed cotton tablecloths at yard sales and thrift stores when I find them. They make good backing fabric for a wash and use quilt. Also kitchen curtains can be a good cotton find. And I don't mind using a poly/cotton blend for some patterns.