Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price increase in thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-increase-thread-t84444.html)

Scissor Queen 12-22-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
See, I'd be asking if that applies to all spools in the store, or just the NEW spools. Because those old spools didn't suddenly cost them more. :roll:

Yeah, I know they're trying to increase revenue, but stuff like that just drives me crazy.

It's not about increasing revenue. It's about being able to replace inventory. It doesn't matter what the purchase price of the item was 6 months ago. It does matter what the purchase price is today.

MTS 12-22-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by MTS
See, I'd be asking if that applies to all spools in the store, or just the NEW spools. Because those old spools didn't suddenly cost them more. :roll:

Yeah, I know they're trying to increase revenue, but stuff like that just drives me crazy.

It's not about increasing revenue. It's about being able to replace inventory. It doesn't matter what the purchase price of the item was 6 months ago. It does matter what the purchase price is today.

Um, you replace inventory from the profits from prior sales. If you haven't been selling the product at current prices - so you are constantly churning your inventory (it's officially called inventory turnover) - the owner's problem is NOT the price of thread going up next year. It's much bigger. Increasing the cost is NOT going to sell the product faster to get her $$ to buy new product. If she hasn't sold it yet, then she hasn't recouped her investment from when she first bought it 6 months ago. She's still out that cash.

And let's face it, many, not all, shop owners are clueless as business owners. They might be fantastic quilters, but have no concept of cash flow, inventory management, marketing, etc. They think all their quilting friends will come shop there and that's enough to sustain the business. And then are stunned when they can't make rent or buy new inventory.
Pretty basic.

Shelley 12-22-2010 11:02 AM

Just wait until you see what cotton BATTING does!

owie 12-22-2010 11:15 AM

I don't have the money to run out and stock up on everything that is going up in price. Look at the price of gas. It is now $3.00 a gallon here in MD. And seems like it goes up every week. Food prices have gone up quickly and are going up again after this crazy weather we are having. That being said, I do have a little stockpile of thread--I bought 9 spools last month from Connecting threads. It was up .50 a spool from last year. I have a few bolts of fabric stashed away. I am not planning to spend much next year on fabric or anything that is involved in quilting unless I need it to finish a quilt. I will be stashbusting.

quiltsRfun 12-22-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
the problem with stocking up (stock piling at least)is that the tread eventually dry rots and breaks up when used. That takes years so don't panic, but don't buy enough for the rest of your life!

Hopefully I'll use it before that happens. But does it also rot after being used in a quilt?

The Creative Seamstress 12-22-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Good thing I recently stocked up from Connecting Threads and ThreadArt.

I use ThreadArt as well. Great products, way less cost than other threadsets from mainline brands.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

owie 12-22-2010 12:07 PM

Good question. I'll be waiting on that answer.

Bobbielinks 12-22-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
the problem with stocking up (stock piling at least)is that the tread eventually dry rots and breaks up when used. That takes years so don't panic, but don't buy enough for the rest of your life!

When I have cotton thread that wants to break easily when I try to sew with it, I stick it in a plastic bag and place it in the deep freezer overnight (and, yes, my husband gives me funny looks). When it defrosts it becomes very pliable again. Hey, stock up girls and guys - just leave room in the freezer for it LOL.

dglvr 12-22-2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Just wait until you see what cotton BATTING does!

HI Shelley. Geeee I can hardly wait. I bet it will be outragious. :shock:

Shelley 12-22-2010 02:20 PM

Kim - I stocked up for all my customers before the prices went up - you should see the rolls in my studio. My customers won't see an increase for at least a year! I'm hoping the cotton market recovers before then.