Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price increase in thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-increase-thread-t84444.html)

BellaBoo 12-22-2010 03:39 PM

Poly thread will last longer then dirt. Good cotton thread will last for many decades. I have cotton thread on spools from my great grandmother and it's still as strong as ever. If you are worried about long term storage put the thread in a vacuum seal bag

CarrieAnne 12-22-2010 03:56 PM

Guess I better buy a few spools!

Dee Dee 12-22-2010 04:14 PM

Oh no, seems like everything we quilters buy is going up in price.

Originally Posted by irishrose
A blurb in the newspaper from a LQS said thread will be going up $1 a spool in January, so stock up now. I'm going in tomorrow to buy myself a gift certificate - they offer 15% off when used, so I'll check on the thread.

dglvr 12-22-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Kim - I stocked up for all my customers before the prices went up - you should see the rolls in my studio. My customers won't see an increase for at least a year! I'm hoping the cotton market recovers before then.

I new you were the best. That just proves it. :thumbup:

jolo 12-23-2010 06:07 AM

Put your cotton thread in the freezer to bring it back to life. Old time remedy.

Nolee 12-23-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by amma
If cotton fabric is increasing, I am not surprised to hear that cotton thread is too :(

Have you seen the cost of batting lately? YIKES!!

joan_quilts 12-23-2010 06:14 AM

Will the price increases ever stop?! GRRRRR

pineneedles4 12-23-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by owie
I don't have the money to run out and stock up on everything that is going up in price. I am not planning to spend much next year on fabric or anything that is involved in quilting unless I need it to finish a quilt. I will be stashbusting.

I know exactly how you feel! I LOVE quilt stores and yesterday my sister and I went to Oklahoma Quiltworks where I bought her a new quilt book for Christmas. Then we drove to Prairie Quilts in Hennessy, Oklahoma where I bought her a gift certificate for the store. I was sooooo tempted to buy a ton of fabric but I managed to stick to 1/2 yard of red batik for a quilt I have planned and 1 yard of fabric for an apron for my son for Christmas. I have so many patterns and quilt kits that I've purchased the last couple of years that my goal this year is to finish the 3 quilts I've started and ONLY sew from my stash and hopefully the quilt kits I have already! I did break down and also purchase 6 spools of thread from Hancocks this week because they had 400 yd spools of white or black for only $1.39 a spool. (And...off the subject...my goal is to improve my machine quilting on my home sewing machine so I can finish the quilts I'm piecing.)

#1piecemaker 12-23-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
A blurb in the newspaper from a LQS said thread will be going up $1 a spool in January, so stock up now. I'm going in tomorrow to buy myself a gift certificate - they offer 15% off when used, so I'll check on the thread.

I think I'm going to order me some big spools!!!!

gma7 12-23-2010 06:52 AM

I bought a spool of dual duty yesterday. It only had 250 yds and cost $2.65 +.16 tax for a total of $2.81. I am going to empty all my old spools before shopping again. I saw some fabrics (batiks) that were 15.99 a yd. Guess my quilts will be scrappy.