Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price for used quilting magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-used-quilting-magazines-t287923.html)

lizzy 05-01-2017 08:06 AM

Price for used quilting magazines

we are having our semi-annual quilt sale and will have quilting books and like new (condition) quilting magazines. Not sure to price them based on today's prices on magazines. Is .50 Cents to high. I was thinking .25 was too low. Any ideas would be appreciated. We do use some of our profit on Quilts of Valor and Casa for foster children and have made almost 200 pillowcases for children with special needs.:shock::shock:

popover 05-01-2017 08:22 AM

I don't think .50 is too high, and I'm kind of a cheapskate. :o

Faintly Artistic 05-01-2017 09:31 AM

I was looking through one at W-Mart the other day, didn't want to buy it, just wanted to see what was in it. Hubby saw me looking and wanted to get it for me. I'm a cheapskate too, and said I didn't want it, I can get inspiration/tutorials free online. He insisted until he saw the $10 price...that convinced him I was right :) I would say $1 is more like it, especially since the proceeds are going for a good cause.

toverly 05-01-2017 09:34 AM

If your show/sale is like the one in Pensacola, you will be overwhelmed with them. 25 cents is fine. We had so many at the last show, they started giving them away.

bearisgray 05-01-2017 09:36 AM

You could do "deals" -

Examples: $1.00 each - 6 for $5.00
$0.50 each - 12 for $5.00

I would only be wiling to pay $0.25 for a magazine, even though $0.50 is very reasonable.

Feathers-N-Fur 05-01-2017 10:31 AM

I buy them for 50 cents all the time at the thrift stores here. The show I was at this weekend sold them for 35 cents until the last day, when they dropped to 10 cents on Sunday. By Sunday, the only ones left were 20-30 years old.

QuiltnNan 05-01-2017 10:34 AM

our guild bundles them by year... putting a note on the top for which issues are included as sometimes one may be missing for the year

minibarn 05-01-2017 12:23 PM

I'm on of those cheapskates too, but I think .50 is fair. Of course bundles like mentioned above are always good too. My LQS has one special sale day a year and they had a table covered w/piles of magazines when I went and that was close to closing time so I have to wonder how many were there to begin with. The price was .50 each or 4 for $1.00. I don't have any subscriptions so I always enjoy getting the used magazines.

susie-susie-susie 05-01-2017 02:30 PM

I give my magazines away. Occasionally I tear out a pattern that I like, so I figure free leaves nothing to complain about. I usually tell the person that I am giving them to that some pages may be missing. If they want the pattern bad enough, they can usually buy the magazine from the publisher. jmho
Sue

tessagin 05-01-2017 02:38 PM

I took a few with me up north to my sister-in-law and recycled others also after giving my neighbor first dibs on the rest.