Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing on fabric to quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-fabric-quilt-t60920.html)

ghostrider 08-24-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy
Just realize you cannot print on fabric with a laser jet printer, only with an ink jet.

While this may have been true at one time, it is no longer the case. You CAN use a laser printer to print on fabric, it's just a different process.

dotcomdtcm 08-24-2010 02:46 PM

I think I'll take a class on this at my LQS. They advertise 5 different methods.

quilterguy27 08-24-2010 03:11 PM

This is an interesting topic. I've been wanting to print my quilt labels and I have muslin to put on freezer paper and I also have the purchased printer fabric (F & P brand). Here's my question: I don't want to go out and buy a new printer to try this. I have a Kodak EasyShare All In One. Will this one work? Has anyone tried it already? Do I really need to go out and buy a new printer?

nursie76 08-24-2010 03:18 PM

I have used pics in 2 quilts. I used Printed Treasures fabric sheets...sometimes getting the paper off the back was a challenge. Someone on here posted that after it was dry, heating gently with an iron just briefly made it come off more easily if you are having a problem. I just a Kodak printer the first time and had a dickens of a time with it. The second time went back to our old HP and it worked like a charm. Print off one on regular paper first, and remember the fabric seems to suck up the color, so it needs to have the saturation set higher for the one printed on fabric. I too watched the show on The quilt show and it was very informative.

tooMuchFabric 08-24-2010 09:18 PM

I have used Bubble Jet2000 and it works great.
Follow directions to set the image after the printing, and it will stand up to time as advertised.

knlsmith 08-24-2010 11:15 PM

I too am an HP fan. Mine is a combo 8170 c. Cost almost 400 when I got it a few years ago. Great on ink and prints on the inkjet fabric just fine.

gawney 08-25-2010 01:33 AM

i just finished my fifth memory quilt and I used "printed treasures fabric sheets in my HP printer Model F4280 and had no problems at all

scowlkat 08-25-2010 03:23 AM

go to bryerpatch.com and see Carol Breyer Fallert's tips for printing on fabric. I use a HP Photosmart printer and have used both commercial fabric sheets and fabric I have used bubble jet set on. One thing it is important to consider is the paper path. I don't know much about Kodak printers but do know that the type of ink is most important for longevity and must be archival (pigment) inks. No matter what you go with, repeated washings will fade over time and there has not been enough time for studies to conclusively state how long the photos will remain vibrant.

All that said, it is very rewarding to make a memory project. Have fun and would love to see what you come up with!

ranbro 08-25-2010 03:33 AM

May I ask what is "PDF fabric" and where can it be purchased?

scowlkat 08-25-2010 03:38 AM

PDF is prepared for Dying fabric. It does not have any chemicals such as sizing so it will receive dyes or inks without having to prewash. I prewash anyway just to take care of shrinkage and dust or dirt that may have gotten on the fabric. You can purchase it as most quilt shops, JoAnnes, Hancocks of Paducah, etc. I don't feel it necessary to use for printing photos though. As long as you prewash to remove chemicals and use archivalinks, you should be okay.