Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prob. with seams coming apart... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prob-seams-coming-apart-t63548.html)

Bluelady 09-07-2010 03:24 PM

I no longer use coats and clark thread due to a similar problem. I try to use Gutterman, aurifil or superior thread. Although I have a lot of metzler thread I am using for piecing too. But as it is used up, I will switch to superior or aurifil.
I also only use 100 percent cotton for my piecing.

crashnquilt 09-07-2010 03:27 PM

Are most of the thread breaks on bias seams? If so, sounds like the bias is stretching a bit and breaking thread. I've had this happen while loaded on the longarm. I have loosened the quilt while on the frame and no longer get this problem. Hope this helps.

bjnicholson 09-07-2010 03:30 PM

You can use the blind stitch that you use on the back of the binding rather than the whipstitch and then it wouldn't show so much. At least that's what I'm thinking.

aorlflood 09-07-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
I no longer use coats and clark thread due to a similar problem. I try to use Gutterman, aurifil or superior thread. Although I have a lot of metzler thread I am using for piecing too. But as it is used up, I will switch to superior or aurifil.
I also only use 100 percent cotton for my piecing.

The thread this was pieced with was 100% cotton Aurifil...so I don't think it's the thread...if it was the thread it would show up in more placed than just in the same area in the blocks where it keeps showing up at.

aorlflood 09-07-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Are most of the thread breaks on bias seams? If so, sounds like the bias is stretching a bit and breaking thread. I've had this happen while loaded on the longarm. I have loosened the quilt while on the frame and no longer get this problem. Hope this helps.

The seam is not a bias seam, but I will try loosening the tension on the quilt in the frame. It is always a seam that runs horizontal to the bars of the frame, so I might have too much tension on it. This is the first time I've used this frame.

Mariposa 09-07-2010 04:24 PM

Hope it all works out! The quilt is very pretty!

bobbie1 09-07-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
It's not fraying...
the stitches have come apart for a short area...usually about .5-1" in length. The seam is sewn up to that point and after that point...

I made a pair of lounge pants for my son and the same thing happened to me. So strange!! Can't figure it out.

BellaBoo 09-07-2010 05:41 PM

Good quality thread pays for itself. So far I haven't found any problems with Connecting Threads Essential thread. I sewed all my small projects and table runner with it before using for piecing quilt blocks and was satisfied with the quality.I buy all the good brands when I find them on sale. I have YLI, Superior, Aurifil, FilTec, Robin Anston, Metteler, Sulky, Guttermann, and InvisiFil. If it's on sale and a quality brand I buy it.

np3 09-07-2010 05:45 PM

Wow, sure sounds like the thread...

stitchinwitch 09-07-2010 07:21 PM

are you using old thread?