Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prob. with seams coming apart...

I machine quilted this quilt top and now am hand quilting it. However...in 3 different places (so far) I have found where areas of my seams have come unsewn...IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEAM...not at the end of the seam by the edge of the block. :(

I don't know why this has happened! I have taken my hand quilting thread and using small stitches have whipstitched the seams closed. They are all in the same part of the block...in the off-white triangles at the end of the black star points.

I also found a small hole in the fabric at one point and whipstitched that closed, too. (I've found this in other quilts from time to time and had to repair it the same way, so I'm not as concerned about that.)

However...this quilt was supposed to be a gift and now I'm beginning to wonder how many seams I can whipstitch closed before it is no longer "gift" quality. :(

I don't have a picture of the repairs, but here are some pics of the quilt...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe your tension is off? I have no idea, it's so odd that it is coming apart in the middle.... I hope you figure it out!
    Sorry I'm not much help!

I had this happen to me not too long ago an several different tops. I changed the needle in my machine (thinking the thread could have been shredding in the needle's eye) and started piecing with better quality thread instead of the cotton/poly-blend serger thread that I was using. I don't really know if the thread was old or if it was melting when I pressed the seams or if the stitches weren't properly hooking together to make a sturdy seam. However since I upgraded the quality of my piecing threads, I have not had any more problems. I currently use Masterpiece thread from Superior Threads for all of my machine piecing. Good luck! Sherry

Power Poster
    Is it just the stitching that has come out?

Or are the seams frayed apart?

You can do a ladder stitch sort of thing and the stitches are almost invisible for repairing a seam that came apart.

It's not fraying...
    the stitches have come apart for a short area...usually about .5-1" in length. The seam is sewn up to that point and after that point...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    It's not fraying...
    the stitches have come apart for a short area...usually about .5-1" in length. The seam is sewn up to that point and after that point...
    This really sounds like poor quality thread. Once the sandwich is quilted, there will be less stress on the piecing threads. The closer the quilting lines are to each other, the less stress there is on the seams.

Personally, you could whip stitch *all* of the seams closed and I would still consider that quilt to be gift quality!

My machine was "skipping" today. I replaced the needle and everything was fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    My machine was "skipping" today. I replaced the needle and everything was fine.
    Hmmmm. I'm thinking that if the thread at the open seams is broken, then poor quality thread is likely to be the problem.

However, if the thread at the open seams is not broken -- just continuous and loose -- then this problem of skipped stitches is more likely to be the cause.

I have had problems with this in the past. I too can say that putting in a new needle and using a better quality thread made all the difference in the world. I use threads from my Bernina dealer. King Tut quilting thread I find is the best. I have also bought thread from Connecting Thread. Theirs is good stuff too. It just always seems that I need or want my thread now and that means a trip to my B-dealer. How ever if I plan ahead I have no problem with Connecting Threads.
    I have made it a habit to use a new needle for every project. If I am working on a big project I may even put in a new one during. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Hope you have gotten to the bottom of your problem. And happy quilting.
    Karol

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Can't help you with the problem but the quilt is absolutely beautiful.

I no longer use coats and clark thread due to a similar problem. I try to use Gutterman, aurifil or superior thread. Although I have a lot of metzler thread I am using for piecing too. But as it is used up, I will switch to superior or aurifil.
    I also only use 100 percent cotton for my piecing.

Are most of the thread breaks on bias seams? If so, sounds like the bias is stretching a bit and breaking thread. I've had this happen while loaded on the longarm. I have loosened the quilt while on the frame and no longer get this problem. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    You can use the blind stitch that you use on the back of the binding rather than the whipstitch and then it wouldn't show so much. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I no longer use coats and clark thread due to a similar problem. I try to use Gutterman, aurifil or superior thread. Although I have a lot of metzler thread I am using for piecing too. But as it is used up, I will switch to superior or aurifil.
    I also only use 100 percent cotton for my piecing.
    The thread this was pieced with was 100% cotton Aurifil...so I don't think it's the thread...if it was the thread it would show up in more placed than just in the same area in the blocks where it keeps showing up at.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Are most of the thread breaks on bias seams? If so, sounds like the bias is stretching a bit and breaking thread. I've had this happen while loaded on the longarm. I have loosened the quilt while on the frame and no longer get this problem. Hope this helps.
    The seam is not a bias seam, but I will try loosening the tension on the quilt in the frame. It is always a seam that runs horizontal to the bars of the frame, so I might have too much tension on it. This is the first time I've used this frame.

Hope it all works out! The quilt is very pretty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    It's not fraying...
    I made a pair of lounge pants for my son and the same thing happened to me. So strange!! Can't figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Good quality thread pays for itself. So far I haven't found any problems with Connecting Threads Essential thread. I sewed all my small projects and table runner with it before using for piecing quilt blocks and was satisfied with the quality.I buy all the good brands when I find them on sale. I have YLI, Superior, Aurifil, FilTec, Robin Anston, Metteler, Sulky, Guttermann, and InvisiFil. If it's on sale and a quality brand I buy it.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Wow, sure sounds like the thread...

are you using old thread?

I'm not sure why the thread is acting like that but your quilt is just gorgeous! I hope loosening the tension on the frame helps!

I had this issue with a quilt top that just started coming apart for what seemed like no apparent reason. Well .. come to find out my iron was over heating and the thread became brittle. I had used a poly cotton for the piecing. I had not realized what was happening withthe iron until the problem became extreme and I saw the thread literally disappear before my eyes as I was pressing a block on the next project. Then I knew what was happening with the quilt I had just completed that different parts just seemed to have the thread vanish.
    Needless to say that iron was in the trash so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    are you using old thread?
    No...it's a spool I picked up about 6 months ago. 100% cotton Aurifil.

Your Alphabet, Math Quilt is Adorable !!
    OMG you may get to keep it for yourself, :) then can mend when snuggled up in it this winter, eventually you will have the whole thing done by hand. Easy Peasy ;)
    (just teasing) Good luck with it.

Only thought to why or idea why it's doing that, have ran across dropped stitches at higher speed, and they stopped at lower speeds may be time for a service.

Blog Entries
    Your piecing looks gorgeous. If the tension is tighter on one thread than another, I could see how it could snap. If that were the problem, though, I would have thought you'd have caught it when you were pressing.
    Skipped stitches sound more likely, but again, you'd see that in the pressing.
    Strange. Must be the quilt gremlins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast