Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with my Southwest quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-my-southwest-quilt-t263858.html)

Dina 04-10-2015 07:16 PM

Problem with my Southwest quilt...

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished the top of my Southwest quilt. This is a pattern called Navajo by Blanche Young. The pattern was for a full/queen sized quilt, and I proportioned it down to fit a twin bed. My plan was to make two of these. They are for one room in my house.

Well, I put the top on one of the beds, trying to decide if I wanted a border, and not enough of the design is on top of the bed, it doesn't look "pretty." Only the center diamond really shows. I could have done a Trip around the World for this effect, and it would have been easier.

I want the whole design to show better, so I have decided to enlarge the quilt to fit on a queen sized bed in another room. So now I have to get the quilt back to the size the pattern started at. :) I figure that to make it fit the bed the way I want, I need to add 12 inches on each side.

The question is....should I extend the pattern. Is that the best way to do it? I will still want a border....I like borders. So I would extend it some and then add a thin border and then a wider border.

Is there any way that 12 inches of border would look okay? That would certainly be easier.

My son tells me not to rush into this decision, but I am at the stage where I just want this project done. I have plenty of fabric, as I was planning on making a second quilt.

So, how would you add 12 inches per side? (I can't believe I am now trying to get the quilt back to the size the pattern said. You wouldn't believe how much math I had to use to make it smaller!!)

Dina

AudreyB 04-10-2015 07:33 PM

Tough question. I'd probably add 3 borders, either 2", 4" & 6" or 3", 4" and 5". Let us know what you decide.

PenniF 04-10-2015 07:46 PM

The problem as i see it with continuing the pattern to add 12 inches per side is that you would not complete a whole pattern of the diamond.....so that might look strange on the "drop". I think i would border what is in the photo, then decide what i wanted to have showing in the bottom and side drops.
Are you going to do pillow shams, or will this go up over your pillows? That will also help you decide about the top and bottom. I usually do about 12 inches of solid fabric at the top --- why do fancy work that will be under the pillows?
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you decide - as i have really liked seeing your color choices and pattern on this one.

Barb in Louisiana 04-10-2015 08:25 PM

To me, Big borders look funny when a quilt is laying flat, or is on a design wall, but very good when it is on the bed as a drop. To test the big border, fold your material so that you have the 12 drop and pin to keep it on the top. I would do this while you are in the bedroom. Back up and look at it. How do you like the big border? Take a picture to get a better perspective of how it actually looks. May quilts and bedspreads are made with a pieced or appliqued top, that rests only on the top of the bed, then solid borders below it. There's no right or wrong....just however you like it.

Your quilt turned out really pretty. I love the colors.

Barb_MO 04-10-2015 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 7160782)

I want the whole design to show better, so I have decided to enlarge the quilt to fit on a queen sized bed in another room. So now I have to get the quilt back to the size the pattern started at. :) I figure that to make it fit the bed the way I want, I need to add 12 inches on each side.

The question is....should I extend the pattern. Is that the best way to do it? I will still want a border....I like borders. So I would extend it some and then add a thin border and then a wider border.
Dina

It you do the 12 inch border, you are not going to get the effect that you are wanting "full design" which is the Navajo design. I would go ahead and piece and finish out the design. I will look lovely with the rest of the design as the drop all around. What size did you cut you pieces? The ones I have made were 2 in wide by 4 in.

QuiltnNan 04-11-2015 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO (Post 7160888)
It you do the 12 inch border, you are not going to get the effect that you are wanting "full design" which is the Navajo design. I would go ahead and piece and finish out the design. I will look lovely with the rest of the design as the drop all around. What size did you cut you pieces? The ones I have made were 2 in wide by 4 in.

i agree with barb's thoughts.

Dina 04-11-2015 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO (Post 7160888)

The pattern said to make the pieces 4 1/4 x 2 1/4. I made mine 3 1/2 x 2...leaving me with a top that is 68 x 84.

Dina

Dina 04-11-2015 04:34 AM

Thanks, everyone, for you thoughts. I am feeling less disappointed with this quilt this morning. I am concerned that if I continue the design, it won't look quite right. I am also concerned that a really big border might look wrong. So I am going to do some careful measuring to see what size I really "need" before I think too much more about it. (famous last words...I even dreamed about it last night....:) ).

I am not sure what I am going to do, but today I am going to read and mow and not think about it. How's that for a plan.

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2015 05:09 AM

Hi Dina. I like your son! That is usually what I do: put it aside until I am able to make a decision on what to do. But I realize how your are a quilter with NO UFOs in your house! I myself would extend the design. I am not sure how wide of a border would look with the quilt. I use to put a 6" to 8" border when I made custom queen size quilts.

Dina 04-11-2015 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7161075)
Hi Dina. I like your son! That is usually what I do: put it aside until I am able to make a decision on what to do. But I realize how your are a quilter with NO UFOs in your house! I myself would extend the design. I am not sure how wide of a border would look with the quilt. I use to put a 6" to 8" border when I made custom queen size quilts.

Thanks, Joellyn....I like my son too. :) He is a good thinker.

I am currently thinking that maybe an 8 inch border might be big enough. That would make it 84" x 100". My son is currently sleeping in the bed in question, so I figured it might be polite to wait until later to measure...

I am afraid that continuing the design, leaving me with 2/3 of a diamond on each side, might just look strange. And a full diamond makes it bigger than I want to deal with.

Trying not to think about it isn't working too well. Like you mentioned, I am one of those folks who has to finish a quilt once I start. So, well, guess I will just think about it anyway, but while I mow... that way I am, at least, not rushing into it...yet.

Dina