Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The problem with UFO's is..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-ufos-t96841.html)

grann of 6 02-05-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
that you unpack the thing, look at it and say "What the BLEEP was I thinking when I did _________."

Then you find the baggie of mystery pieces and the inevitable thought of "What in the world is this piece of fabric for and why is it cut in this peculiar way?" is soon to follow.

Finally you realize WHY this is a UFO. You pour yourself a glass of wine and grab the instructions and a seam ripper.

Yep, I've done all that, except for the 2 things after the glass of wine. I just stop at the wine :roll:

bbquilter 02-05-2011 05:14 AM

Yep, know just what you mean. I give many of them away because there is a reason it was a ufo, I did not like it.

lots2do 02-05-2011 05:19 AM

Glad you figured it out!
The opposite happened to me once. I found these really nice Dresden plates started with Christmas fabric. Hand sewn and I have no memory of having made them. That was a pleasant surprise. Should probably finish them one of these days. :)
The hand sewn part did make me think what was I thinking? Doing this by hand?

puck116 02-05-2011 05:19 AM

Many of my ufo's resulted from taking classes and not finishing the project afterward. Many just need borders and many more need to be sandwiched and quilted. I really want a longarm system, but have to wait until DS and DD get married. DS in May.

lots2do 02-05-2011 05:21 AM

I agree Puck. Just about every class I take results in another UFO. I have a new favorite teacher and one thing I really like about taking her classes is that you either finish in her class or she takes you far enough that you want to finish the project quickly. I'll only take classes from her now. (She's a retired Special Education teacher and really one of the best I know).

Greendragon6889 02-05-2011 05:21 AM

I have totes full of that stuff..:o

Julie in NM 02-05-2011 05:22 AM

HAHA...I find, unfold, fondle, think, refold, and restore...diff defn if you know what I mean.

luvstitches 02-05-2011 05:46 AM

This happens to me when I buy the complete fabric for a certain pattern, then go home to put it away for years later. I'll mess up on a pc of fabric, need more, only to find out they've retired the fabric! How many times does this happen to me? All the time! I have kits from almost 8 yrs ago so I anticipate UFOs. Argh! It will take 50 yrs to sew thru all my fabric.
Many older kits I rub my head wondering what I was thinking when I purchased it.
I still love, love, love, quilting!

zennia 02-05-2011 05:50 AM

This is where I am right now. I was up at 5a.m. trying to figure out a UFO that I dragged out last night. And thats exactly what I said"what was I thinking" Hope I figure it out soon because I love the fabric. I just cant remember why I bought so much. What was I thinking?

seamstome 02-05-2011 06:10 AM

Well I am up this morning and excited about this project again. I hear what you all are saying. Some times I just give them away too. Or, eek, just throw them out.

The class thing is a problem...I have two of those right now.

Yeah and the extra fabric problem. I have one chunk of orangy coral batik fabric that I bought for backing. The LQS helped me figure how much. We must have been on drugs because I have three yards of it left over AFTER I finished the project. It is pretty but there isnt that many things you can use orange batik for. It will become backing again someday.