Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pull up your socks, girls. Does not apply to fellas. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pull-up-your-socks-girls-does-not-apply-fellas-t81158.html)

Caer Urfa 12-06-2010 11:30 PM

Just loved this excerpt from a Singer Sewing Book circa 1900. How many of you abide by these rules?

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.
Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness, have on a clean dress.
Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails smooth - nail file and pumice will help.
Always avoid hang nails.
Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine where you can pick it up and dust your fingers at intervals.
This not only absorbs the moisture on your fingers, but helps keep your work clean.
Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care.
Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing for if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of your mirror and you can hope for better results when you look your best.
Again, sewing must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.
Therefore "spruce up" at the beginning so that you are free to enjoy every part of the sewing you do.

QuiltDraggon 12-06-2010 11:31 PM

I absolutely do, doesn't everyone?

I just love old helpful hints like these. They make me howl.

pookie ookie 12-06-2010 11:34 PM

Sounds like Flylady. Dress to your shoes!

Pulling a useful nugget:
(Fill in the blank) must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it.

And then I fall straight into the gutter. Think of England, dears.

Sadiemae 12-06-2010 11:40 PM

You mean pj's aren't the best thing to dress in. I guess I failed this test!

earthwalker 12-06-2010 11:50 PM

Love the bit about "being constantly fearful" should a visitor or even worse...your husband turn up! This old anarchist needs approaching with caution when at her machine.

deltadawn 12-07-2010 12:07 AM

Naturally .........one must always look one's best ! lol !

pojo 12-07-2010 12:11 AM

Tee shirts, jeans or pj's I guess I didn't pass either.

jemma 12-07-2010 01:31 AM

of course ----who --whom??? --dosent ??? [help i dont own a lipstic]

raptureready 12-07-2010 01:53 AM

Old flannel nightgown, hair not brushed, never any makeup---and that's at quilting retreat, just imagine what I look like at home!!! LOL Just kidding, it's about the same and it's not a picture that you even want to imagine.
Jemma--I don't own a lipstick either.

I'm surprized it didn't say "Only begin sewing after all daily chores are done, your house is spotless and your husband's supper is in the oven."

hperttula123 12-07-2010 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
You mean pj's aren't the best thing to dress in. I guess I failed this test!

that's what I was thinking. I usually am in my pajamas. I go for comfort. :)