Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Purchase a pattern or make it on my own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purchase-pattern-make-my-own-t191817.html)

kjohnson0523 06-15-2012 05:13 AM

Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

I have seen several things lately that I would like to make. Most of these items have a pattern for sale for you to use. My question is, is it ok to make a similar item if I can make it on my own without purchasing the pattern?
I wouldn't be selling the items, just for personal use but I wouldn't want to take away from the pattern designer. What is your opinion?

Thanks
Kim

feline fanatic 06-15-2012 05:20 AM

I draft my own patterns all the time based on pictures alone. I say if you can figure out on your own how to do it without a pattern there is no reason to buy the pattern.

deneldacoop 06-15-2012 05:23 AM

I draft my own patterns from things I see online or in a shop. I don't think it is necessary to purchase patterns. They really are expensive (for most of them) and I would rather put the money into fabric. (Iam on a low fixed income.) Alot of the time my drafts are just a tad different but close enough to satisfy me.
Dena

tngal22 06-15-2012 05:23 AM

I am with the above poster. I try to do it from pictures but if I can't or it seems too complex, then I will buy a pattern.

Pat625 06-15-2012 05:25 AM

I get ideas from pictures, but always end up changing at least something in it...I am on disability, and if I had to buy patterns I wouldn't be able to quilt..There are also so many free patterns to choose from on the internet

Sew N Tune 06-15-2012 05:25 AM

I too, draft my own designs if not too complex. Why pay for the pattern. Download a free piece of graph paper, and go for it.

qwkslver 06-15-2012 05:35 AM

qnntv.com has a free video on that, it's Mary Fons.

dmyers 06-15-2012 06:43 AM

I can usually draft my own pattern from a quilt that is shared on a blog or pattern for sale. But I buy the pattern anyways to give the person credit for their work and I guess sharing their idea. :)

Julie in NM 06-15-2012 06:47 AM

Welll I guess there's lots of us "drafting." I look at pic of quilts, see if I can identify the blocks that make it and go from there. Sometimes I can figure it out but if not...on to the next quilt. I buy books ONLY if there are at least three quilts I want to do otherwise books are just eye candy.

Also...looking at finished quiltis is a great TEST to check my color combos. Sometimes my brain has a short circuit and colors that I think will look good together with a swatch test is just not right. I'm doing that w/fab for bargello...now I just may have to buy a kit for that.

charity-crafter 06-15-2012 06:53 AM

I try to buy patterns when I have the money just to support the designers that I like. But most of the time, I try to fiugre it out myself if I can.