Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quandry - can't seem to get started . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quandry-cant-seem-get-started-t163146.html)

jitkaau 10-26-2011 09:13 PM

Try cutting and piecing one block at a time?

auniqueview 10-26-2011 10:47 PM

I side track myself, lol. I swore I was going to put everything else aside and make dog beds, 3 of them, because I have one dachshund that chews up all the commercial stuffed beds, and I am sooooo tired of picking up stuffing. Hmmmm, so explain to me why I just got done cutting fabric and designing something else instead?

At least I pinned that design into place and took a photo before I changed my mind again, lol. So I can move it off the mat and cut the fabric for the beds in the morning....maybe?

Try just picking one, putting all the rest out of sight and just start one. Good luck, lol.

QuiltingCrazie 10-26-2011 11:32 PM

My problem is the batting lol I know it sounds crazy but I love making tops. Love picking out the backing so I really don't think about the price. When actually have to spend the money on batting, all I think about it's the functional part of the quilt, it's not pretty nor does it need to match. I buy in bulk too so it pains me to shell out the money for it....weird I know!

svenskaflicka1 10-27-2011 02:30 AM

oh, yup. i hear you. i was organizing in the fabric might before last, and was shocked at how many kits i'd acquired, and how much yardage i have--all for "when i retire". there were at least three tops i'd cut out on my own, as well, just waiting to be started.

i'm going to be a busy lady when that day arrives...

Hattie Frances 10-27-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by justsojanie
As a newbie, I don't know if this is common practice but, I have cut pieces for 1/2 dozen projects/laptops and still haven't put them together!!! It's as though I enjoy finding a pattern, choosing the colors, cutting the fabric, but when I have at least 6 blocks cut and ready for that pattern, then a different pattern catches my eye and I'm off! I really want to get started - so many beautiful quilts to make!!!! What's wrong with me??

I don't know, but I have it too.

Doreen 10-27-2011 12:41 PM

I think at one time or the other we all fall into the same thing. You just need to concentrate on the one you like the most and start to finish. I finished 12 quilts the year after I retired. I had a lot of unfinished projects!

justsojanie 10-27-2011 01:12 PM

Maybe that's my problem - I have 22 months until I retire!!! I'm just preparing :) You have all been wonderful, encouraging me, helping me with great suggestions and letting me know I'm not alone. (DH doesn't really understand the 'quilting thing' - but he's a sweetie anyway.) I've been blessed to find this site and join your 'world'.

nanna-up-north 10-27-2011 01:31 PM

We all get stuck at some time or other. I ask for help to get me started on a lap quilt I needed to finish a couple of months ago. So many great quilters encouraged me and I got a long way on it.

What worked for me was to set a day and time that I would work on the quilt. Then, no matter what, I worked on the quilt at that time and day. It worked for me!!

Good luck...... just do it!!

LindaDeeter 10-27-2011 05:04 PM

Not a thing wrong with you ... we all do it! One thing that work for me ... set your timer for 15 minutes and just sit down and begin sewing. If you want to stop when it rings you can, or just keep going! Either way, it gets you started!

gwanma 10-28-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm

Originally Posted by gwanma
Good luck...what should we call that feeling?

I don't know, it is like a kind of serenity, a quilt-ocity, it is delicious, shivery happiness, both because you completed something but also because you freed up time and energy to start something new. I like seeing my ideas and color concepts come to fruition. Very rewarding. That is a thread in and of itself - creating the term for that "just finished" happy state. Come on ladies, put your thinking caps on!

:lol:

oh, i like this. you do it a lot better than me. but that's how it feels...you gotta try it.