Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Queen size pattern to Full size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/queen-size-pattern-full-size-t142433.html)

sewmanyideas 08-03-2011 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a carpenter's star pattern that was done by a friend of mine in Queen size. How do I get her 96" square quilt down to a full size pattern? I can't seem to find anything online and what I did find is not for the simple minded like me! Please help solve my problem:(

her top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236049[/ATTACH]

donnajean 08-03-2011 05:18 PM

I would just leave off or make the outer border smaller.

MTS 08-03-2011 05:26 PM

Well, what do you consider full size? I've done kings that are 95" square.

I'm going to guesstimate that those blocks in the king size quilt are 6" finished.

If you make the same exact pattern, but do it with 4.5" (finished) blocks, you'd get approx a 72" square quilt. That whole pattern is just plain squares and HST blocks. You just have to figure out the color combos of the HST blocks and make them. I would cut the starting squares at 5.75", draw the line, sew on each side, blah, blah, blah, cut on the diagonal, and then trim down to 5" unfinished. Layout the blocks per the picture, sew them together and you're practically done.

You can always add a border at the top and bottom to get it longer to fit a bed if that's what you want/need.

shnnn 08-03-2011 05:27 PM

I'd probably just leave a border off -- but if you wanted to reduce the whole thing I think it would be about .1 smaller.. so take each piece and multiply the measurement by .9 to get the new size -- that would make it about 86.5"

sewmanyideas 08-03-2011 05:37 PM

Thinking I am going to take off the last border and configure my own in there. You girls are the Best!!! Thank you:)

QuiltE 08-03-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Well, what do you consider full size? I've done kings that are 95" square.

And I make 95" square minimal quilts for my double bed!!! :)

As MTS has said you can just change your block size to get whatever size of quilt you want. The Carpenter's Square are all square blocks (with HSTs), so it's easily to re-do the size of the quilt just by changing the block size.

Or go right down to a mini Carpenter's Square using one inch blocks! :)

MTS 08-03-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

It's all about the overhang. A very personal preference. :mrgreen:

blueangel 08-03-2011 05:45 PM

I would just leave the outside border off.

QuiltE 08-03-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

It's all about the overhang. A very personal preference. :mrgreen:

Exactly!!! and how much you want for tucking around the pillows or not.

I was just wanting to show how nothing is standard!! :)

MTS 08-03-2011 06:06 PM

Exactly!!! and how much you want for tucking around the pillows or not.

Ah, yes, the tuck. Or, also for consideration, do the pillows go over or under the quilt?
These are deep, deep questions. :mrgreen: