Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about batting - new to quilting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-batting-new-quilting-t29334.html)

sbeddingfield 11-26-2009 06:03 AM

I have made the top of a table runner, and almost finished some potholders for Christmas gifts and have a lap quilt I want to do next. I was wondering about batting - seems that the queen size Warm and Natural or other brands is the size usually on sale. But what is best - to buy the actual size you need or buy the bigger size and cut it up?
Thanks

drivingsusan 11-26-2009 07:21 AM

I always buy Warm & Natural by the yard...as much as I can afford at the time. That way I have some on hand all the time!!
As for your potholders you will need to get Insulbrite, it keeps the heat from transfering through the pot holder!!!
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Damkina 11-26-2009 12:20 PM

I would recommend you buy Warm and Natural, it's the nicest I've used to date.

Buying more than you need or what you can afford by the metre/yard is a great idea for those times when you can't get to the quilt shop to finish off your projects.

Joanne

amma 11-26-2009 01:15 PM

I love to buy by the yard...but the very smallest packaged I buy is the queen sized... some projects it is no problem to piece it together...I always find uses for the smaller leftovers too :wink:

MadQuilter 11-26-2009 01:27 PM

I get warm and natural or warm and white by the yard - usually when Joann has a sale. I suggest that you try it and see how you like it.

In the past, I have also used flannel for batting. It may work for the table runners.

Boston1954 11-26-2009 02:53 PM

I am with drivingsusan. My sister and I bought an entire roll and then split it. I am just now getting towards the end of my half. That was over a year ago.

katier825 11-26-2009 03:21 PM

When Joann's has the queen size warm and natural on sale for $9.99, it's a great deal. It's the equivalent of 3 yards.

Prism99 11-26-2009 05:36 PM

It's more work to buy a bigger size and then cut to your needs. I have often found the smaller sizes on sale at Joann's online; with a free shipping coupon, I often stock up on the smaller sizes that way. I don't use Warm 'n' Natural, though, as the drape is stiffer than I like. I stock up on Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon batting (a very traditional all-cotton batting) in the sizes I need when it's on sale. As long as you have room to store the batting, it can be just as economical doing it this way as investing in larger sizes and cutting them down.

A lot depends on how much money you have available to invest in batting. If you need a small size and only the large size is on sale, and you don't mind the extra work of cutting the batitng down to size and storing the remainder, this can be a good option.

sewnsewer2 11-26-2009 06:09 PM

I buy the W&N by the yard. It is wider and I always have left over batting for those smaller projects I am always making.

Hobbs poly/cotton is a good one too.

MM 11-26-2009 06:15 PM

How warm will a quilt be that's made with Warm and Natural? I bought a queen-size package when they were on sale at Joann's, but it seems very thin to me. Am making a winter quilt for my 3 year old grandson; would the warmth of W&N be equivalent to that of a blanket?