Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about copyright (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-copyright-t185417.html)

ckcowl 04-09-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5126430)
Why are you asking for legal advice here? :rolleyes: I mean, half of us aren't from the your country, and I can't imagine the other half has a clue? If it's something you're that worried about, you really should be asking a lawyer, right?

do you for some reason believe a lawyer could not be a quilter? or a member of this board? this board is full of many many knowledgeable people, Lawyers, Doctors, Designers, Authors- there is no reason to not ask the questions here.

BellaBoo 04-09-2012 04:05 PM

Why pay $300+ to ask a lawyer and after he researches billing you for his time and a consultation fee, be told each copyright case is different according to factors. My neighbor is a lawyer, I just asked him. He said no lawyer can give you an exact answer on copyright, if you are sued then that's when it's hashed out in court who is right. He thinks you are okay not to be sued to design your own using the image as inspiration for personal use. Just saved you $300 +. LOL.

Scissor Queen 04-09-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 5128528)
This is the picture I am talking about

I'm thinking if you can figure out how to turn that into a quilt, more power to you!!!

craftybear 04-09-2012 04:09 PM

thanks BellaBoo

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5128867)
Why pay $300+ to ask a lawyer and after he researches billing you for his time and a consultation fee, be told each copyright case is different according to factors. My neighbor is a lawyer, I just asked him. He said no lawyer can give you an exact answer on copyright, if you are sued then that's when it's hashed out in court who is right. He thinks you are okay not to be sued to design your own using the image as inspiration for personal use. Just saved you $300 +. LOL.

woody 04-09-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone !!!!!! You really are the most helpful bunch of people EVER!!!!

Now for the next challenge, actually making it, LOL, this should be fun :p

jaciqltznok 04-09-2012 05:38 PM

Why are you asking for legal advice here? :rolleyes: I mean, half of us aren't from the your country, and I can't imagine the other half has a clue? If it's something you're that worried about, you really should be asking a lawyer, right?

NO, it is a good question for here!

jaciqltznok 04-09-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 5129006)
Thanks everyone !!!!!! You really are the most helpful bunch of people EVER!!!!

Now for the next challenge, actually making it, LOL, this should be fun :p

to clarify, copyrights are generally NOT on the design elements, but are on the techniques, directions used to execute the making of the design! Even then, search the public domain blocks and you will find that your element might already be there!

rndelling 04-10-2012 05:48 AM

Kind of a harsh reply. I see lots of questions on here asking about copyright laws and giving credit to the designer so this one doesn't seem out of place to me.

MdmSew'n'Sew 04-10-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 5128528)
This is the picture I am talking about [ATTACH=CONFIG]326575[/ATTACH]

That is one amazing design, would love to see how it turns out, I don't think I could even begin to try to replicate that. Please show us the pictures when you finish!

garysgal 04-10-2012 10:56 AM

Ouch!! Unfortunately, it's responses like this that make some of us hesitate to ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question, but when the response is this, it makes the one asking feel dumb.