Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about doing a Bargello...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-doing-bargello-t245487.html)

cdmmiracles 04-21-2014 03:28 PM

That's awesome sewmagic, Thanks for doing this for me. I will anxiously await her reply.......can't get it any straighter than from the designer :)

Originally Posted by sewmagic (Post 6684275)
Hello,

I forwarded your question to the quilt designer. She is a local and teaches this class herself in our quilt store. Let's see what she has to say. I will let you know as soon as she answers me.

cdmmiracles 04-21-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6683988)
And it will make a bigger quilt. I did two sizes of a Surf Song bargello. I made each strip 2 inches rather than 1 1/2 the pattern called for on the second quilt. Both quilts look good, but I really liked the one better where I followed the pattern exactly. There is a difference in the patterns of the two, though it isn't a large difference. Let me see if I can find pictures, if that helps.

Let me repeat, both look good. But it may help you decide. I know it is a different pattern.... The first picture is with the width the pattern called for. The second is i/2 inch larger for each strip.

Maybe it will help...

Dina

Dina, both quilts are gorgeous!!! Great job and thanks for your answer......it looks like "if" it did anything, it may have ever so slightly changed the curves.

cdmmiracles 04-21-2014 03:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of your input........I Love this board!!!! I never dreamed I'd get lucky enough for someone that knows the designer to chime in (sewmagic). QUILTERS are Awesome :)

ellenjs 04-22-2014 06:20 AM

About 9 years ago I took a class for the Twisted Bargello. The first one was using 1.5 inch strips, but you could use 2 inch strips and just get a bigger quilt. Unfortunately both were lost in our house fire, so I'll have to start all over again...someday.

quiltingshorttimer 04-22-2014 06:45 AM

I've made 2 Bargello's and the instructions in both called for wider strips for the different sizes. But remember that makes it longer too. Check out Jinny Breyer's website and the free patterns--the Navaho Star quilt is a bargello that is made in quarters and then put together. I made that as a king size and the method was much more manageable than a traditional bargello.

madamekelly 04-22-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 6686386)
I've made 2 Bargello's and the instructions in both called for wider strips for the different sizes. But remember that makes it longer too. Check out Jinny Breyer's website and the free patterns--the Navaho Star quilt is a bargello that is made in quarters and then put together. I made that as a king size and the method was much more manageable than a traditional bargello.

The pattern is actually Navaho winter, or Navaho sunrise....: )

matraina 04-22-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles (Post 6683962)
I am getting ready to do the Diamonds Jubilee Bargello. I want to do the king size, and all of the initial strips have to be cut 2 1/4 inches. Can I cut all these 2 1/2 inches or will that create a major catastrophy???? Just wondering, because if I can do 2 1/2" strips I can use my june tailor shape cut ruler :).
Thanks so much Crystal

They are both pretty but I like the top one better..