Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about doing a Bargello...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-doing-bargello-t245487.html)

cdmmiracles 04-20-2014 12:35 PM

Question about doing a Bargello......

I am getting ready to do the Diamonds Jubilee Bargello. I want to do the king size, and all of the initial strips have to be cut 2 1/4 inches. Can I cut all these 2 1/2 inches or will that create a major catastrophy???? Just wondering, because if I can do 2 1/2" strips I can use my june tailor shape cut ruler :).
Thanks so much Crystal

quiltsRfun 04-20-2014 01:04 PM

It will change the proportions of the quilt.

Tartan 04-20-2014 01:07 PM

If it is a Bargello where different colours intersect to make a pattern , the colours may not flow as well. If it is a pattern where the Bargello just goes up and down, it shouldn't make much difference.

Dina 04-20-2014 01:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And it will make a bigger quilt. I did two sizes of a Surf Song bargello. I made each strip 2 inches rather than 1 1/2 the pattern called for on the second quilt. Both quilts look good, but I really liked the one better where I followed the pattern exactly. There is a difference in the patterns of the two, though it isn't a large difference. Let me see if I can find pictures, if that helps.

Let me repeat, both look good. But it may help you decide. I know it is a different pattern.... The first picture is with the width the pattern called for. The second is i/2 inch larger for each strip.

Maybe it will help...

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 04-20-2014 04:21 PM

It will affect the length of your quilt. For every strip of color, add .25" For example, if you had 10 fabrics in a strip and had 6 strip repeats, your quilt would be 15" longer. I would suggestion that you cut your strips as suggested in the pattern. Good Luck !!

Lori S 04-20-2014 05:00 PM

If you only want to make it wider.. when you cut your strip sets and an extra 1/4 inch to each strip set cut. If you add just extra to just the first strips( prior to sewing the strip sets) it will be longer but not wider.
I did this on a bargello and it had no effect on the final design appearance. I did go through and added a strip of paper across the top of the strip set cutting guide and put the new measurements. I figured at some point it was likely I would forget to add the extra.

yngldy 04-20-2014 05:48 PM

I haven't done a bargello yet, but, what if you sewed a little larger seam? Wouldn't that give you the right measurement for each sewn piece needed in the pattern? Or did I just have too much dinner tonight and am too full to think?!

Hope everyone had a nice Easter!

sewmagic 04-20-2014 06:06 PM

Hello,

I forwarded your question to the quilt designer. She is a local and teaches this class herself in our quilt store. Let's see what she has to say. I will let you know as soon as she answers me.

Dina 04-20-2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6684203)
If you only want to make it wider.. when you cut your strip sets and an extra 1/4 inch to each strip set cut. If you add just extra to just the first strips( prior to sewing the strip sets) it will be longer but not wider.
I did this on a bargello and it had no effect on the final design appearance. I did go through and added a strip of paper across the top of the strip set cutting guide and put the new measurements. I figured at some point it was likely I would forget to add the extra.

Lori is right. I remember now that I add 1/2 inch to the width of my strips and I added 1/2 inch to the size of each of the strip set strips that I cut. So my quilt was both longer and wider than the original pattern, which was my goal.

Rereading this, it might only make sense to someone who has made a Bargello. :) But I did want to sort of "set the record straight." (I also did like Lori did, making my map guide at the top have the measurements I wanted to end up with, because I knew I would mess up otherwise.)

Dina

Kitsie 04-21-2014 08:32 AM

For those interested in the pattern, I see there is a class available Apr 29th.
Here's a link: http://www.quiltersqrtrs.com/classes.html
I would like to just find the pattern - it a beauty!