Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about fat quarters and yardage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-fat-quarters-yardage-t228203.html)

Porcelina 08-18-2013 06:09 AM

Question about fat quarters and yardage

Hi everyone. I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched the boards and didn't see my question). I'm a new quilter and I know that 4 fat quarters is 1 yard. My question is, instead of buying fat quarter packs, can I just buy 1 yard and cut that into 4 quarters? My dilemma is that I will be making a quilt that calls for 17 fat quarters. I found a fat quarter bundle that I like, but it comes with way more material than I need (and want) and I'm trying to do this quilt as cheap as possible. Does this mean I could buy 4.25 yards and have it work out the same if I cut that into quarters or is a yard of fabric made slightly different in some way? I could be saving $30 if I buy the yardage. TIA

GailG 08-18-2013 06:14 AM

I'm not sure but IMHO the fat quarters required are probably 17 different prints/pieces. If you bought a yard of one print, you would have 4 FQ alike. To you more experienced quilters, is this correct.? That quantity of FQ is possibly for a scrappy quilt, where the pieces would be varied instead of all one print?piece.
Congratulations for asking and welcome to the QB.

willferg 08-18-2013 06:27 AM

Like GailG said, you'd have less variety in your prints, but you could certainly do it. You could even by half yard pieces and cut two fqs from each to get a little more variety (and buy nine different fabrics).

nativetexan 08-18-2013 06:29 AM

one reason for "fat" quarters is the size of the cut. 18 inches wide helps you get more cuts out of it, where as a regular quarter yard cut of 9 inches might not. Good luck.

Suze9395 08-18-2013 06:30 AM

Gail,
Yes, normally, that is why they tell us to get multiple FQs instead of yardage for a scrappy look.

Porcelina,
If you would prefer to buy yardage instead of FQs, you can absolutely do that. Look at your patern and the fabric/color/cutting instructions and determine the best way to make the substitution. That is a pretty vague statement, but without knowing the pattern, I can't be any more specific. sorry

dunster 08-18-2013 06:32 AM

I think you're asking if you can make the quilt with skinny quarters (9"xWOF) instead of fat quarters (18"xhalf WOF). That depends on the pattern. Sometimes you can get more pieces from a FQ, other times it doesn't matter. Sometimes the cutting directions are based on using FQs, even though you could cut the same amount of pieces from a skinny quarter. Many stores, both local and online, will sell you a FQ for the same price as a skinny quarter. You might check out connecting threads online - they're one that don't charge extra for the smaller cuts.

DogHouseMom 08-18-2013 06:34 AM

I agree with the others, if the pattern calls for 17 FQ it is probably 17 different FQ and the variety is essential to the pattern. Check the pattern again to be sure.

As for saving some $$ ... go to an LQS (or two, or three) and ask them if they have a FQ sale bin (many do).

mighty 08-18-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6240813)
I agree with the others, if the pattern calls for 17 FQ it is probably 17 different FQ and the variety is essential to the pattern. Check the pattern again to be sure.

As for saving some $$ ... go to an LQS (or two, or three) and ask them if they have a FQ sale bin (many do).

I agree!!!!

Porcelina 08-18-2013 06:49 AM

Well, the pattern I'm looking at is slightly scrappy. Basically, the designer used a black and white FQ 'print' (if you will), so it doesn't really look TOO scrappy. I was going to use 1 yard each of 4 different patterns to achieve my 'look' so that way I'd still have at least 4 different patterns going on. Thanks for all the quick and friendly replies ladies!

Misty's Mom 08-18-2013 06:57 AM

Hello and welcome from Texas