Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about fat quarters and yardage

Question about fat quarters and yardage

Hi everyone. I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched the boards and didn't see my question). I'm a new quilter and I know that 4 fat quarters is 1 yard. My question is, instead of buying fat quarter packs, can I just buy 1 yard and cut that into 4 quarters? My dilemma is that I will be making a quilt that calls for 17 fat quarters. I found a fat quarter bundle that I like, but it comes with way more material than I need (and want) and I'm trying to do this quilt as cheap as possible. Does this mean I could buy 4.25 yards and have it work out the same if I cut that into quarters or is a yard of fabric made slightly different in some way? I could be saving $30 if I buy the yardage. TIA

I'm not sure but IMHO the fat quarters required are probably 17 different prints/pieces. If you bought a yard of one print, you would have 4 FQ alike. To you more experienced quilters, is this correct.? That quantity of FQ is possibly for a scrappy quilt, where the pieces would be varied instead of all one print?piece.
    Congratulations for asking and welcome to the QB.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Like GailG said, you'd have less variety in your prints, but you could certainly do it. You could even by half yard pieces and cut two fqs from each to get a little more variety (and buy nine different fabrics).
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    one reason for "fat" quarters is the size of the cut. 18 inches wide helps you get more cuts out of it, where as a regular quarter yard cut of 9 inches might not. Good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Gail,
    Yes, normally, that is why they tell us to get multiple FQs instead of yardage for a scrappy look.

Porcelina,
    If you would prefer to buy yardage instead of FQs, you can absolutely do that. Look at your patern and the fabric/color/cutting instructions and determine the best way to make the substitution. That is a pretty vague statement, but without knowing the pattern, I can't be any more specific. sorry

I think you're asking if you can make the quilt with skinny quarters (9"xWOF) instead of fat quarters (18"xhalf WOF). That depends on the pattern. Sometimes you can get more pieces from a FQ, other times it doesn't matter. Sometimes the cutting directions are based on using FQs, even though you could cut the same amount of pieces from a skinny quarter. Many stores, both local and online, will sell you a FQ for the same price as a skinny quarter. You might check out connecting threads online - they're one that don't charge extra for the smaller cuts.

I agree with the others, if the pattern calls for 17 FQ it is probably 17 different FQ and the variety is essential to the pattern. Check the pattern again to be sure.

As for saving some $$ ... go to an LQS (or two, or three) and ask them if they have a FQ sale bin (many do).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I agree with the others, if the pattern calls for 17 FQ it is probably 17 different FQ and the variety is essential to the pattern. Check the pattern again to be sure.

As for saving some $$ ... go to an LQS (or two, or three) and ask them if they have a FQ sale bin (many do).
    I agree!!!!

Well, the pattern I'm looking at is slightly scrappy. Basically, the designer used a black and white FQ 'print' (if you will), so it doesn't really look TOO scrappy. I was going to use 1 yard each of 4 different patterns to achieve my 'look' so that way I'd still have at least 4 different patterns going on. Thanks for all the quick and friendly replies ladies!

Hello and welcome from Texas

Porcelina, I would be interested in what pattern you are using. I have had my 17 black and white FQ for a year and can't find a pattern I like. And welcome from WA.. I have learned so much here. Have fun.

If you find a print you want, you can also ask the LQS if they will cut a FQ for you from the bolt. That way you do not have to buy a packet for just a few prints, and you will get what you want. Most shops will do that for you.

All our LQS's will gladly cut FQ's for customers, or at least the ones I have been to.

The reasom for FQ's on the pattern may be the sizes of the different pieces you will need. A 1/4 yd of fabric is only 9" wide by the length of the fabric. Therefore if a particular piece was more than 8 1/2" in both directions you might not have enough fabric. I tend to allow extra 'wiggle room' for cutting my fabric.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    If you can get by with half the number of different prints, go with half yard cuts. If you take a half yard cut and cut it at the fold, you get two fat quarters. Like others have said, every shop I've been to will cut fat quarters. But around here fat quarters are $3.50 each and yardage is about $10 so it's a lot higher to get fat quarters cut.

Thanks for all the information - I am also a newbie to quilting and this was very helpful
    bjsmith57