Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about feather quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-feather-quilts-t67587.html)

Lacelady 10-02-2010 03:53 AM

I have a featherbed, bought from QVC. They state that they wash the feathers up to 15 times to get them really clean, whereas the industry standard is 4 times.

MaryKatherine 10-02-2010 04:30 AM

A duvet IS eseentially a quilt.

needlenut 10-02-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by B. Louise
I can't resist posting these dimensions for a feather bed: "It was nine feet high and six feet wide, soft as a downy chick
It was made from the feathers of forty 'leven geese, took a whole bolt of cloth for the tick
It'd hold eight kids 'n' four hound dogs and a piggy we stole from the shed
Didn't get much sleep but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's feather bed."
Thank you, John Denver.

I love that song, too.

mom-6 10-02-2010 05:12 AM

For the larger feathers, there is definitely a market for them in the crafting world, especially among the historical re-enacting community.

We have friends who are trying to raise the 'pretty' chickens, ducks & geese of various varieties for that specific purpose. For them the eggs are just a bonus.

Moonpi 10-02-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrsjdt
we have an artist in our area who paints wildlife scenes on turkey feathers...just amazing. Maybe the same on goose feathers?

I used to use goose wing feathers for faux finishes, like doing marble veining. I have seen spiderweb "brooms" made of turkey wing feathers.

Moonpi 10-02-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrsjdt
we have an artist in our area who paints wildlife scenes on turkey feathers...just amazing. Maybe the same on goose feathers?

I used to use goose wing feathers for faux finishes, like doing marble veining. I have seen spiderweb "brooms" made of turkey wing feathers.

marlene tarzwell 10-02-2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by barbbrad
My husband and I own a outfitting business and bring hunters up from the states to hunt geese and ducks, would I be able to use the feathers that we get to make a quilt and how would I do that? :)

We have a feather blanket/quilt that we bought in Germany. It is actually too warm for us here in SC. but was great when we were still in Mi.

JeanDal 10-02-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by B. Louise
I can't resist posting these dimensions for a feather bed: "It was nine feet high and six feet wide, soft as a downy chick
It was made from the feathers of forty 'leven geese, took a whole bolt of cloth for the tick
It'd hold eight kids 'n' four hound dogs and a piggy we stole from the shed
Didn't get much sleep but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's feather bed."
Thank you, John Denver.

I loved that song!

Dortha 10-02-2010 09:17 AM

The "feathers" aren't used...the "down" from the chest and belly areas are used. They are small and softer.My mom made all her feather pillows and feather beds for 5 beds, I don't ever remember any mites, bugs or other critters in the feathers she used.

stitcher 10-02-2010 09:24 AM

Brings back memories when I was little and would go the farm, they had the feather beds and I was always told not to get on it, I would mess it up, but I was a little girl and you know what I did. It was so cozy. Butttt, if you allergies they are not the best thing for you, pillow or what ever. Little mites or what ever the dr. called them love the feathers.