Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about needle changing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-needle-changing-t261509.html)

lfletcher 02-20-2015 07:03 AM

When I piece on my Janome, I only change the needle when I hear a popping sound or it breaks. However, on my Gammill longarm, I change the needle with every quilt.

bearisgray 02-20-2015 07:17 AM

I go by sound.

luana 02-20-2015 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7097646)
I buy Organ titanium needles and they seem to last forever!

These are my favorite! However, I also clean and oil my machine, change the needle and fill the bobbin after every major project. I don't want to wait for something bad to happen, I just want to sew.

Knitette 02-20-2015 07:32 AM

I'm another one who goes by sound. It's rare for me to use the same needle for eight hours without changing to Microtex, Metallic etc so rely on the change in sound. I've also started paper piecing quite a bit so my needles do seem to wear down quicker. Haven't decided on whether my Titanium ones have lasted longer or not.

feline fanatic 02-20-2015 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 7097955)
When I piece on my Janome, I only change the needle when I hear a popping sound or it breaks. However, on my Gammill longarm, I change the needle with every quilt.

Same here. Different machines... Bernina/Innova And I do not change the needle on the Innova if the first quilt was a small, like crib, lap or Wall hanging. then I will either leave it in for a bedsize quilt or do several smalls before changing. I will also change mid quilt if the innova also starts making the popping sound. It is a pretty easy sound to hear and quite distinctive. Edited to add, I will also change needles for thread types as I change threads. But in these cases if the first needle is still good, I will put it back in the case to switch back to when I go back to the kind of thread that uses that needle size.

pocoellie 02-20-2015 08:01 AM

I only change my needles when:

1-they break

2-change when I switch to thicker/thinner fabrics from what I've been working with

3-when I'm getting ready to FMQ, I switch to a 14 quilting needle, usually I use a 12 when just sewing. When I'm done with FM, I put the same needle back in that I was using before I changed to the 14.

franc36 02-20-2015 09:08 AM

The needle on my Featherweight is changed every Saturday when I service the machine. I change the needle on my Bernina with each new project. Needless to say, I use lots of needles.

FURBALLS 02-20-2015 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 7098025)
I only change my needles when:

1-they break

2-change when I switch to thicker/thinner fabrics from what I've been working with

3-when I'm getting ready to FMQ, I switch to a 14 quilting needle, usually I use a 12 when just sewing. When I'm done with FM, I put the same needle back in that I was using before I changed to the 14.

I am with you. I am bad about changing needles. Really good at cleaning and oiling.

panderz 02-20-2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7097646)
I buy Organ titanium needles and they seem to last forever! I have pieced about 6 quilts and quilted at least 4 quilts on the needle I am using now. Not sure how many hours that is, but at least 50. I am starting to notice the popping sound when the needle hits the fabric and was just thinking earlier today I should probably change the needle on my Juki and the blades on my rotary cutter.

Well it seems that these needles get a good review so I might try them. Right now mine isn't making any strange noise so I think I will just wait and change it before I start FMQ my 3 tops. I only have about 4 or 5 hours on this needle and it's the one that came with the machine.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

<3 Mandi <3

jitkaau 02-21-2015 03:16 AM

If you hear the popping sound as you sew, it is already a little late to change the needle. Titanium needles last a bit longer than average needles. I generally change them when I am oiling or cleaning (depending on the type of machine). That is about eight to twelve hours of sewing.