Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about needle changing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-needle-changing-t261509.html)

katesnanna 02-21-2015 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7097646)
I buy Organ titanium needles and they seem to last forever! I have pieced about 6 quilts and quilted at least 4 quilts on the needle I am using now. Not sure how many hours that is, but at least 50. I am starting to notice the popping sound when the needle hits the fabric and was just thinking earlier today I should probably change the needle on my Juki and the blades on my rotary cutter.

I use Organ needles and you're right, they do seem to last forever.

madamepurl 02-21-2015 04:01 AM

I change mine alot. I get longer out of the titanium ones, but still I like the idea of a "fresh needle."

madamepurl 02-21-2015 04:03 AM

Love the Organ Top Stitch Needles as well. I bought them by the 100 from Allbrands.

didi 02-21-2015 04:35 AM

I'm like you Maria, this works for me and I'm not worried about my machine.

Madan49 02-21-2015 04:58 AM

I only do piecing on my DMS. I wind a dozen bobbins at a time. When I do that, I also clean my machine, and change my needle. It's just a habit I'm in, and keeps everything running smoothly. Needles aren't really all that expensive, and well worth having a good sharp one in place. It helps stop skipped stitches as well, so in the long run that saves time, which is worth more to me that saving a few pennies on needles. (I save old empty pill bottles to put the used ones in so I can dispose of them safely.)

Texas_Sue 02-21-2015 05:21 AM

I change my needle when it breaks. If I start having a lot of thread breakage, I will change then also. Otherwise, I just sew on.

annette1952 02-21-2015 08:57 AM

I have always read in different quilting books to change it every time you start a new project. It is also a good time then to clean the bobbin area, oil machine & get everything ready you are working on. I don't follow that to a tee but it is sort of my timeline

angelarose 02-21-2015 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by lakekids (Post 7097815)
A local sewing machine guy said as a rule of thumb the needle should be changed after every 8 hours of use.

I heard similar advice: every 8-12 hours, and listen for the popping/snapping sound as the needle hits the fabric. It's so easy to forget to change the needle though. I should put a little post it note on the machine.

quiltingbuddy 02-21-2015 12:38 PM

Hmmmn, good thread! I always learn so much here! These are things I really needed to know...Organ needles (which I am using) listen for popping sound, good to know and size 14 for FMQ, that might be why I just broke a thread, I think I have a previously used size 12 in there now. Gonna go change it and finish the last section of the outer border. Yay, I'm this close to binding. Thanks girls!

MargeD 02-21-2015 02:10 PM

I am guilty of not changing my needles often enough, although when the stitches go wonky or don't look nice any more, I'll change the needle. I was told by the man who sold me my Janome that I should change the needle after every project, and/or after 8 hours of sewing. First, I can only do small pieces of time sewing because of shoulder issues, so I'd lose track of the hours, but when the machine goes wonky, I will change the needle and then I'll wonder why I didn't do it sooner.