Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Printed Treasures Fabric sheets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-printed-treasures-fabric-sheets-t297053.html)

rvsfan 05-20-2018 03:49 PM

Question about Printed Treasures Fabric sheets

Those of you who use Printed Treasures fabric sheets to print your labels on - do you then applique them to the quilt on just the raw edge, or do you turn under an edge of the fabric sheet and applique stitch label to quilt that way? I'm in process of putting one on that I turned under 1/4 in of the fabric sheet and it's like trying to push the needle through cardboard. Next time I'll just go with raw edge and hope it doesn't ravel. What's your experience?

Quilting Grandma 05-20-2018 04:14 PM

I sew a single fold binding, turn it under, machine sew it down and then sew it on. Works great. If I get the label done before I sew the quilt binding on, I sew it in the corner and only have to bind two sides. Good luck. I had tried sewing thri the fabric sheet and found like you did, too hard. Good luck.

dunster 05-20-2018 04:36 PM

My experience is the same as yours. It's too hard to get the needle through, and that's one reason I have so many quilts without labels.

indycat32 05-20-2018 05:18 PM

After I make my label I add a half inch border using backing fabric scraps. Then I place a piece of backing fabric on top of the label, right sides together, sew all the way around the label, cut a slit and turn. That eliminates any raw edges and then I hand-stitch the label onto the quilt using a blind hem stitch.

dunster 05-20-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by indycat32 (Post 8061814)
After I make my label I add a half inch border using backing fabric scraps. Then I place a piece of backing fabric on top of the label, right sides together, sew all the way around the label, cut a slit and turn. That eliminates any raw edges and then I hand-stitch the label onto the quilt using a blind hem stitch.

I like this idea!

QuiltE 05-21-2018 08:47 AM

I border mine up in some way.
Some are more elaborate than others.

Here's some that I have done recently ......
https://www.flickr.com/photos/873175...posted-public/
If you take a look around, you will find some others too.

kdoublea 05-22-2018 04:57 AM

I also used Printed Treasures for a few years but have found that the EQ Printables labels are much softer and easier to applique to the back of the quilt, but especially if you buy the "Premium Cotton Lawn" rather than the regular cotton.

Gerbie 05-22-2018 05:32 AM

You lost me with you 1/2 " border. What do you sew your border to? I understand the backing fabric on top of the label and cutting slit and turning, but where does that border go?

indycat32 05-22-2018 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie (Post 8062603)
You lost me with you 1/2 " border. What do you sew your border to? I understand the backing fabric on top of the label and cutting slit and turning, but where does that border go?

I sew the border onto the label.

sharin'Sharon 05-22-2018 04:53 PM

Mine are done in a similar way; only when I set up my wording in WORD, I move my wording down a ways so that when the label is printed on my fabric, I have space for the 'back' of the label. I measure a half inch beyond all four sides of the wording, then add a quarter inch for a seam. Then I fold right sides together and then only have three sides to stitch and the top of the label will be the fold of the label.. Before stitching, I make a slit in the 'back' of the label so I can turn it right side out. Only need to trim the corners to make a nice flat label. When using WORD, I set the ink with a hot iron so that it doesn't run or wash out. DO NOT use a laser printer for printing on fabric.