Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about Printed Treasures Fabric sheets

Blog Entries

Question about Printed Treasures Fabric sheets

Those of you who use Printed Treasures fabric sheets to print your labels on - do you then applique them to the quilt on just the raw edge, or do you turn under an edge of the fabric sheet and applique stitch label to quilt that way? I'm in process of putting one on that I turned under 1/4 in of the fabric sheet and it's like trying to push the needle through cardboard. Next time I'll just go with raw edge and hope it doesn't ravel. What's your experience?
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

I sew a single fold binding, turn it under, machine sew it down and then sew it on. Works great. If I get the label done before I sew the quilt binding on, I sew it in the corner and only have to bind two sides. Good luck. I had tried sewing thri the fabric sheet and found like you did, too hard. Good luck.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

My experience is the same as yours. It's too hard to get the needle through, and that's one reason I have so many quilts without labels.

After I make my label I add a half inch border using backing fabric scraps. Then I place a piece of backing fabric on top of the label, right sides together, sew all the way around the label, cut a slit and turn. That eliminates any raw edges and then I hand-stitch the label onto the quilt using a blind hem stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
    After I make my label I add a half inch border using backing fabric scraps. Then I place a piece of backing fabric on top of the label, right sides together, sew all the way around the label, cut a slit and turn. That eliminates any raw edges and then I hand-stitch the label onto the quilt using a blind hem stitch.
    I like this idea!

I border mine up in some way.
    Some are more elaborate than others.

Here's some that I have done recently ......
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/873175...posted-public/
    If you take a look around, you will find some others too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I also used Printed Treasures for a few years but have found that the EQ Printables labels are much softer and easier to applique to the back of the quilt, but especially if you buy the "Premium Cotton Lawn" rather than the regular cotton.
    Kaaren
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Blog Entries
    You lost me with you 1/2 " border. What do you sew your border to? I understand the backing fabric on top of the label and cutting slit and turning, but where does that border go?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    You lost me with you 1/2 " border. What do you sew your border to? I understand the backing fabric on top of the label and cutting slit and turning, but where does that border go?
    I sew the border onto the label.

Mine are done in a similar way; only when I set up my wording in WORD, I move my wording down a ways so that when the label is printed on my fabric, I have space for the 'back' of the label. I measure a half inch beyond all four sides of the wording, then add a quarter inch for a seam. Then I fold right sides together and then only have three sides to stitch and the top of the label will be the fold of the label.. Before stitching, I make a slit in the 'back' of the label so I can turn it right side out. Only need to trim the corners to make a nice flat label. When using WORD, I set the ink with a hot iron so that it doesn't run or wash out. DO NOT use a laser printer for printing on fabric.

Blog Entries
    If you have the label done in advance you can tack it on with spray and then as you are quilting it quilt it on, the good thing when you do it this way, if someone tries to take off the label it'll take a lot of effort and be really noticeable that it was done. They recommend this for nursing homes where peoples quilts have a tenancy to come up missing, even with their names on them and there is no way to prove it.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I saw a video yesterday on you tube where she used cloth and freezer paper to make things like this. First she cut the freezer paper and fabric just a little over the needed size, like for 81/2 x 11 they were cut 9 by 11 1/2, she then ironed the freezer paper to the fabric, then she cut it to size, cutting it to size after ironing it makes it stay better. Then she put it in an ink jet printer and printed it. She then heat set it with the iron on both sides and then carefully peeled the paper off from the fabric. She showed several blocks that had been washed and the design still held up. I did mine on the printed fabric and the labels didn't hold up. You may need to do a reverse image to get it to go the right way. its a lot cheaper than the fabric sheets. I'm going to try it this week end. Check out you tubes for this. One person just ironed the design to the rograin ribbon and sewed it onto the garment
    Judy