Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about quilt shop offerings... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilt-shop-offerings-t220162.html)

dcamarote 04-28-2013 08:56 AM

We have two local shops; one offers free time to come and finish; the other charges and makes a class out of it.

Lori S 04-28-2013 09:29 AM

Some charge some don't, your best bet is to call the LQS and see if they have a session that is just for working on your own project and if they charge. The ones that do charge for this type in my area the fee is fairly small, in comparison to regular classes.

Quilting Dreamer 04-28-2013 09:44 AM

Hello, my friend YukonViv: Is winter winding down in the Yukon's? We had a beautiful day yesterday; but, today it is very chilly & rainy......Come on Spring........or Summer. Is everyone at your house doing okay health wise ? Sure would like to make one more Alaskan trip------- sometimes we just take off at ramdone never know where to---so if that happens I will call you from Whitehorse so we can have coffee & chat and the fabric store is in Whitehorse correct.....we will go there for sure. Told Bill I would like to come back in 2014 we will see.
You take care Ms. Vivian

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI

retrogirl02 04-28-2013 09:55 AM

One of our local shops used to offer a Finish it Friday once or twice a month. Another shop used to have them weekly and a class fee was charged. I didn't do either. Instead, a group of us started getting together for free at the local library. People bring along whatever they want, chat & share ideas. Everyone is welcome.

We've found that sometimes there are great, nice quilters who have been put off by a quilt shop for one reason or another. If people are interested in giving the local shop a second chance, at least one of us will offer to meet up so they feel more comfortable.

ube quilting 04-28-2013 10:12 AM

LQS has a once a month Friday Free Sew. You pay $5.00 and they order pizza, provide snacks & drinks. Open tilll midnight? Bring anything you want to work on and if you have a problem they help you out. Six to eight people are always there and you meet lots of new friends, learn a lot and get some piecing done with lots of laughs mixed in.
peace

judy363905 04-28-2013 10:42 AM

The LQS I shop at and take many classes at, offer this every so often. As I belonged to monthly groups (2) and took classes as well as an occasional sew over-nighter. I went to a Free Open Sewing, I planned to sandwich my quilt top as I did not have a large enough table. One of the "main" clerk walked by and stated "Why didn't you just stay home and do that".... Yes you may have quessed, I no long take classes or belong to the monthly groups...I do shop there ocassionaly, however they have lost the major portion of my business. PS I also purchased my Bernina from this shop.
I too believe as AliKat just stated Happy quilters buy a heck of a lot more.

Judy in Phx, AZ

romanojg 04-28-2013 10:42 AM

We have a couple of shops here that do this, one is at night and one has the whole day every Friday and then there is normally at least once a month at night. They don't charge. Once in a while there is an all day and even all weekend, where you come and go as you please and I think the charge is around 20 for that.

patchsamkim 04-28-2013 12:12 PM

Every shop probably has it's own name for something like that. Some shops charge, some do not. Some may only do it for part of a day instead of a whole day. Some may charge, but include a meal, or offer a discount. It is a good idea.

MommaDorian 04-28-2013 12:32 PM

I wish I could find something around my house. All the fellowship sounds like a blast!!

Tothill 04-28-2013 03:25 PM

M not so LQS (45 minutes away), has a UFO evening monthly with a fee, and a UFO day with pot luck lunch less often fee for that too. I have no issues about paying a fee. They are supplying the space, tables, irons some other tools, including rulers, cutting mats etc. Electricity is not inexpensive.