Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-rag-quilt-t148577.html)

Latrinka 08-29-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nerak
Can we get a tutorial on rag quilts? I don't know anything about them, being new to the quilting community. Also, I would love to learn how to "quilt as you go.". Thanks for all the great tips I get on this board.

YouTube has video tutorials on these, that's where I learned a lot of stuff, because you actually watch them do it as they explain.

quiltaroni 08-29-2011 05:39 AM

Love the little rag purses, great to see patterns used
in different ways

Sharonsews 08-29-2011 06:22 AM

Good idea!

Delilah 08-29-2011 07:49 AM

The cotton/flannel/flannel will make great little quilts. Saw several in a shop when at the Three Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show and they were really cute. All layers were cut at the same time.

Sierra 08-29-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltaroni
Love the little rag purses, great to see patterns used in different ways

Yes, I like the red purse also, but won't the "extra" threads come off onto clothing if you walk with it brushing against you? My rag quilts (which I washed several times before giving them to the gkids) still left threads here and there for month!

newbiequilter 08-29-2011 08:26 AM

I have made several rag quilts and it would seem that cutting the blocks before sewing would make the sewing more difficult. You will have to keep the cut edges flat and away from the needle. There seems to be a magnetic attraction between cut edges of fabric and needles.

clsurz 08-29-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
When I have made rag quilts, I cut my batting smaller than the front and back pieces so that the batting is not in the ragging. For instance with a 7" piece for the front and back I cut my batting 6" and use a 1/2" seam. Are you planning on your batting to be in the seam as well?

Yes it tells us to use the 6 inch square for batting to do the larger rag quilt. You put it smack in the middle of each rag quilt square which is set perfectly.

athenagwis 08-29-2011 08:33 AM

I think you have the right idea!! Can't wait to see it working. :)

Cheers!
Rachel

newestnana 08-29-2011 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Amazing timing. I just finished my very first rag quilt, also done with the Accuquilt Go! I made it using three layers of flannel (Grinch Christmas fabrics on the front and back of the quilt and plain white flannel for the middle layer). Although I considered layering them together before cutting, I think it would have been very hard to roll it with three layers (you must have strong arms!!!). As it turned out, I was fussycutting the top layer so had to cut each of those squares separately anyway. It really wasn't too bad layering them after they were cut. Will try to attach a picture on a separate reply.

BTW, I had read that it's really important to wash your flannel in hot water in advance of cutting/making the quilt (hope I'm not too late with this suggestion). It will shrink a lot, and not at the same rate as your non-flannel fabric.

auntpiggylpn 08-29-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
When I have made rag quilts, I cut my batting smaller than the front and back pieces so that the batting is not in the ragging. For instance with a 7" piece for the front and back I cut my batting 6" and use a 1/2" seam. Are you planning on your batting to be in the seam as well?

Yes it tells us to use the 6 inch square for batting to do the larger rag quilt. You put it smack in the middle of each rag quilt square which is set perfectly.

I'm using a layer of flannel as the batting, not regular batting!