Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Rag Quilt

Blog Entries
    I am going to make a rag quilt (1st time!) using a cotton for the top and and flannel for the backing. I am also going to use the rag cutting die with my Accuquilt Go. I am planning on using another layer of flannel for the batting. So I will lay my backing flannel on my die with the other flannel in the middle and lay my top (cotton fabric) on top of that and cut them. Will this work? I thought it would be easier to sandwich them together on the die because it cuts the edges for the fraying and I would have each block already put together before I try to sew them.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have the Accuquilt Go and the rag dies, but have not made a quilt yet, but I will try your suggestion, sounds like a real time saver. Thanks, Sharry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unique Creations
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I have the Accuquilt Go and the rag dies, but have not made a quilt yet, but I will try your suggestion, sounds like a real time saver. Thanks, Sharry
    I have to wait for my flannel to dry and then I am going to give it a try! I'll let you know if it works!

When I have made rag quilts, I cut my batting smaller than the front and back pieces so that the batting is not in the ragging. For instance with a 7" piece for the front and back I cut my batting 6" and use a 1/2" seam. Are you planning on your batting to be in the seam as well?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    When I have made rag quilts, I cut my batting smaller than the front and back pieces so that the batting is not in the ragging. For instance with a 7" piece for the front and back I cut my batting 6" and use a 1/2" seam. Are you planning on your batting to be in the seam as well?
    I am not planning on using any batting. I am using another layer of flannel for the batting.

Ok, I thought I saw batting in there.

Yes, I think cutting your 3 layers at the same time will work fine. Let us know how it goes!

Blog Entries
    i tried going ahead and doing the (clipping the edges) before sewing together once---what a nightmare that wound up being- it was very difficult to sew the blocks together-
    might of course just been me---but i suggest you cut a couple blocks and sew them together and see how that part goes before you cut them all...just in case- i really wish i had tested first- because i never would have cut them all- but like i said could have just been my malfunction

I have the 8 1/2" rag die but haven't used it yet....let us know how it comes out for you please. Will be looking for this response on board. Thanks !

Blog Entries
    I made rag quilts for my kids for Christmas last year, alot of fun making them. The only thing about the batting being the same size as the top and bottom that I found was the batting will show, that is how I did both of mine and after I cut it which I used a rag quilt tool for cutting and worked perfect but the batting showed in between the two layers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquegirl68
    I made rag quilts for my kids for Christmas last year, alot of fun making them. The only thing about the batting being the same size as the top and bottom that I found was the batting will show, that is how I did both of mine and after I cut it which I used a rag quilt tool for cutting and worked perfect but the batting showed in between the two layers.
    That's why I am using another flannel as my batting. It doesn't have to be a heavy quilt and because I am using a regular cotton on the top, I want to make sure I get enough "rag" so using flannel for batting and backing

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I have the die and
    haven't made one yet, but will soon.

Please let us know if this works out, OK.
    Sounds like a good way to do it.

I have made a purse with the accuquilt GO and it worked fine. I didn't think of layering the fabric before cutting. What a great idea. The middle layer of flannel just makes a flufflier quilt. I don't wash min first because it seems to string apart better when unwashed. I wash it a couple of times after making to fluff it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cute bag !

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've cut some squares. I'm pretty pleased with it so far! The first 2 sets I cut came apart when I removed the cutting mat due to static cling. So I just took apart a magazine (not a quilting one, but a newsworthy one like "People") and placed a page between the top fabric and the cutting mat; Worked like a charm. The die doesn't cut everything so before I remove the squares I have to go around the edges and snip the random threads that are still attached to the cut away fabric. I won't be able to sew them for a couple of days but I'll let you know how that goes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I am going to make a rag quilt (1st time!) using a cotton for the top and and flannel for the backing. I am also going to use the rag cutting die with my Accuquilt Go. I am planning on using another layer of flannel for the batting. So I will lay my backing flannel on my die with the other flannel in the middle and lay my top (cotton fabric) on top of that and cut them. Will this work? I thought it would be easier to sandwich them together on the die because it cuts the edges for the fraying and I would have each block already put together before I try to sew them.
    I must have missed something here.

The one side - the top? - of the quilt only is ragged. The other side - the bottom - is not. The batting is cut smaller than either side of the quilt and doesn't get frayed.

Not sure why you would even want to consider cutting the batting ... or in this case the flannel you will be using as batting on your Accuquilt Go. Though, if you don't mind a lot of ragged edges: the top and the batting - together it could work.

I am too thrifty otherwise.

ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I must have missed something here.

The one side - the top? - of the quilt only is ragged. The other side - the bottom - is not. The batting is cut smaller than either side of the quilt and doesn't get frayed.

Not sure why you would even want to consider cutting the batting ... or in this case the flannel you will be using as batting on your Accuquilt Go. Though, if you don't mind a lot of ragged edges: the top and the batting - together it could work.

I am too thrifty otherwise.

ali
    I think you did miss something! I'm not using batting at all. I am using a layer of cotton fabric and 2 layers of flannel. All the layers are cut with the die and are ragged. I wanted to make sure I got lots of ragging because the cotton top fabric won't rag; that's why I chose to use 2 layers of flannel and NOT traditional batting.

Michigan fabric is 100% cotton
    Name:  Attachment-248315.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  44.6 KB

blue flannel layer (instead of batting) and then yellow flannel layer (back)
    Name:  Attachment-248316.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  43.1 KB

Can we get a tutorial on rag quilts? I don't know anything about them, being new to the quilting community. Also, I would love to learn how to "quilt as you go.". Thanks for all the great tips I get on this board.

Blog Entries
    Yes it will work I did a big and baby that way.
    Cute purse

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak
    Can we get a tutorial on rag quilts? I don't know anything about them, being new to the quilting community. Also, I would love to learn how to "quilt as you go.". Thanks for all the great tips I get on this board.
    YouTube has video tutorials on these, that's where I learned a lot of stuff, because you actually watch them do it as they explain.

Love the little rag purses, great to see patterns used
    in different ways

Good idea!

The cotton/flannel/flannel will make great little quilts. Saw several in a shop when at the Three Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show and they were really cute. All layers were cut at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltaroni
    Love the little rag purses, great to see patterns used in different ways
    Yes, I like the red purse also, but won't the "extra" threads come off onto clothing if you walk with it brushing against you? My rag quilts (which I washed several times before giving them to the gkids) still left threads here and there for month!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast