Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Rag Quilt >

Question about Rag Quilt

Question about Rag Quilt

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

sorry, Don't know
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM

I would think that if you pin each square firmly in 3 or 4 places before cutting there would be no reason for them to shift and you could sew them together with much less problem than the regular (or "old") way of cutting all the pieces seperately and THEN putting them together and THEN sewing them and THAN cutting them. Sounds good to me.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
ARE YOU SEWING YOUR BLOCKS IN STRIPS AND THEN CUT.
You would not be able to do that with a rag quilt, not if you want all four sides of the quilt blocks to be ragged.

Those of us who use the die with Accuquilt have them cut individually however you can cut at least 6 layers if using cotton.

I haven't tried flannel yet so don't know how many layers you could cut with it.

I suppose if you were doing it by hand with scissors one might be able to cut strips first and than use scissors to do all 4 sides to have a rag look to it.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra
I would think that if you pin each square firmly in 3 or 4 places before cutting there would be no reason for them to shift and you could sew them together with much less problem than the regular (or "old") way of cutting all the pieces seperately and THEN putting them together and THEN sewing them and THAN cutting them. Sounds good to me.
I was wondering about the shifting as well. I have the accuquilt go die for the rag and have cut and never had it shift so not sure why it shifted for the OP.

I have used cotton fabric up to 6 layers and cut with it and no problem with material shifting.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by Sierra
I was wondering about the shifting as well. I have the accuquilt go die for the rag and have cut and never had it shift so not sure why it shifted for the OP.

I have used cotton fabric up to 6 layers and cut with it and no problem with material shifting.
It'a not that it shifted. After running the die thru the cutter, when I remove the cutting mat, the static cling will pull the top layer of fabric with it so then my blocks won't be aligned together. This happens even when I am doing just cottons too.

It is extremely HARD to cut the 2 layers of flannel with the cutter. There's no way you could cut more than that without risk of damaging your machine.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM

I've seen on the board that people were excited about getting the Accuquilt. I keep watching the ads for a good price. But wonder just how much I would use it.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I have the die and
haven't made one yet, but will soon.
Let us know how it works. I have the rag quilt die and have not used it yet either. I want to, but just have not gotten up the nerve to start.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

I have cut out a number of rag quilts using the Accuquilt 8.5 inch rag square die. I made reversible squares cutting a double layer of flannel. (In TX this is usually heavy enough!) I was advised by Accuquilt Customer service that if I found it difficult to cut 2 layers of flannel, just to cut one at a time. Eventually
my roller actually locked and I HAD TO SEND IT IN. However I generally had no trouble cutting out double flannel and don't see why adding a single layer of cotton would make a difference. I have made a real friend in one of the Accuquilt customer service folks. They are very willing to help and answer any questions. Sometimes there is a lot of cleaning the die that is required between several cuts. I have read, but haven't tried to cut this down by covering the die with thin paper, like parchment or tissue paper, Good luck,
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Oh, I forgot to say that as soon as I bring flannel fabric into my house it goes to be washed and dried. I have given away more than 25 flannel rag lap quilts. You do have to pay special attention to making your seams larger than the cuts, and that all nips for the ragging are kept away from your seams.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I finally got it done. I posted the pictures here

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152774-1.htm#4200658

Not sure I will do another with the die. Probably will bite the bullet and do it the original way, snipping the blocks with scissors!