Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about sending a quilt out for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-sending-quilt-out-quilting-t272745.html)

meyert 11-28-2015 09:28 AM

wow! thanks everyone for the information and suggestions!!

Jeanne S 11-28-2015 09:49 AM

I give it in three separate pieces to my long arm quilter. She also gives me guidelines for the extra size needed for the batting and backing over the dimensions of the top.

susiequilt 11-28-2015 11:29 AM

If you plan to use the backing material for the binding be sure and let the quilter know not to trim.

ManiacQuilter2 11-28-2015 12:13 PM

They do the layering putting it onto a frame. The one thing that they appreciate are that the quilt and backing have been pressed and any loose threads removed.

117becca 11-28-2015 03:16 PM

Make sure you have seen their work before hiring them to do such a precious gift.

BETTY62 11-28-2015 03:59 PM

I take the top and backing to my long arm quilter and she provides the batting. She changes by the inch for the quilting and there is an extra fee if I have her doing the binding.

UFOs Galore 11-28-2015 04:26 PM

Whatever the longarm quilter says for extra backing fabric - follow it. So many times, people say "Well I know you wanted an extra 4 inches on each side, but I have x." The quilters use the extra inches to attach the backing to the frame and to clamp the sides. If there is not enough fabric, there will be issues with the quilting near the edges. Also, the tension for the quilt is perfected by practicing on the sides in those extra inches of fabric. Much better to have an extra place to do it - other than the quilt top.

youngduncan 11-29-2015 04:32 AM

I have used two long arm quilters for very special projects. Both of them used the batting and backing which I supplied. Neither requested my layering everything -- it was easier for them to work with three separate pieces. I had to be sure that the batting and backing were at least four inches larger than the top so the pieces would load onto the frame accurately. Both of my long armers were given free reign over the design. I trusted both of them explicitly and was not disappointed. One of them left the extra batting and backing attached, so, when I trimmed everything, I had plenty of long strips to use as the binding. If you have questions, ask your long armer. I don't think you will be disappointed. Your special gift should become a very special gift.

nancyw 11-29-2015 05:01 AM

Most LAQ's provide their own batting. I've worked with LAQ's who lie 6 extra inches on the backing and I've worked with ones tha onle require 4 inches all around on the backing. Contact the LAQ your going to use and see if they provide batting and hqw big your backing shoud be on all sides.

JustAbitCrazy 11-29-2015 05:22 AM

Make sure your backing and top are well pressed and all loose threads are trimmed from the backs. If the back is pieced, use half inch seams (do not include selvedges) and press open. If you will be quilting with a directional pattern, mark where the top of the quilt is. If there are any loose edges, as in loose folded triangles or flanges, baste those down so they don't get quilted down flipped over. Stitch across the ends of seams which extend to the edge of the quilt top so they don't open up once under tension on the frame.