Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about starching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-starching-t67975.html)

Lacelady 10-03-2010 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewSydney
That's the exact recipe I saw!!

I can't find those ingredients in Sydney - I'm now on a mission.....

Try looking for corn starch in your supermarket. The kind of thing sold to thicken gravy! You can add a few drops of Lavender oil to it.

sewcrafty 10-03-2010 04:33 AM

If you can't find Sta-flo to mix your own, you can make your own by using cornstarch & water. If you google homemade spray starch you'll see many recipes. Just remember when you do make your own, put in fridg after using and shake before using. :D

I purchased a HUGE container of cornstarch at Sam's Club for very little $$$ like maybe $3.

Julie in NM 10-03-2010 04:57 AM

Spray starch for me. Let it dry and then press.

featherweight 10-03-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I make my own

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch
1 cup water
1 cup of liquid febreze Lavender scent

Mix well..

This is the exact recipe that I use and I absolutly love it. I have not had any problem with flaking either. I used the dollar store fabric freshner and it worked great also.

Sewze 10-03-2010 07:33 AM

Welcome to the board. We all have our favorite starches. I like to use Best Press for clothing. For my quilt making I use Niagra heavy starch if I just want a light starch and Sta-Flo 1/2 & 1/2 with water for flannels and a heavier starch. You can also delete that down more for a lighter starch.

newbiequilter 10-03-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Craftygirl,

I use the spray starch - have both the regular and double starch - depends how stiff I want the fabric to be which I use. But there have been a few recipes for making your own starch that you put into a spray bottle that I will try soon!

You can use the "Search" link on the menu at the top to look for previous discussions.

Linda

What is the purpose of the starch?

OHSue 10-03-2010 05:45 PM

I get Niagra Liquid Starch in a large bottle and add it to a spray bottle and use it half and half with water.

pocoellie 10-03-2010 05:49 PM

I get the concentrated gallon bottle of Sta-Flo starch, dilute it normally 50/50, put in a spray bottle and spray my fabrics. This way it costs about 1/10th the amount of the commercial starch, and if I want it stiffer, then I change the dilution amount. I spray on the right side of my fabric, let it "soak" a minimum of 2 hours, then air dry or put in the dryer for a few minutes, take out, mist with water, iron.

pocoellie 10-03-2010 05:55 PM

The purpose of the starch is your cuts of fabric and the blocks will have a nicer "finish", your seams will also take a crease better and so will look better. In my opinion.

newbiequilter 10-03-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
The purpose of the starch is your cuts of fabric and the blocks will have a nicer "finish", your seams will also take a crease better and so will look better. In my opinion.

Thank you! I am ready to try it. I have Faultless and a spray bottle.