Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about starching

Blog Entries
    Hi, I fairly new to the board and I'm sure this question has been answered heaps of times but I'm not very good at navigating yet, so please be patient. I live in Perth, Western Australia and over here no-one seems to use starch the way you girls talk about it. Can you tell me if you just mean spray on starch or if you actually use real starch. I remember my Mum starching the collars of Dad's business shirts with some very gooey looking white mixture. I cant imagine that this is what you do.
    Love the board. Thanks in advance.

Craftygirl,

I use the spray starch - have both the regular and double starch - depends how stiff I want the fabric to be which I use. But there have been a few recipes for making your own starch that you put into a spray bottle that I will try soon!

You can use the "Search" link on the menu at the top to look for previous discussions.

Linda

I use spray on starch I use Mary Ellen's best press it is supposed to make ironing easier, smell wonderful, no flaking , non clogging, acid-free, leaves no residue, relaxes stubborn wrinkels, doesn't attract bugs (my favorite) makes fabric look new. (this is how it was sold to me. My has a lavendar scent.

Blog Entries
    I just use the cheapest heavy spray starch I can find. A light spray to add body, and I soak it when working with bias edges :D:D:D

Ask any kind of question here, there are tons here that are willing to help and answer.

Welcome to the board! Enjoy all the wonderful things you'll learn here.

Hi,

I am in Sydney and the spray starch that the quilters use in a group I attend is just spray on starch like Crisp (its the one I just bought)> I think we can also buy Mary Ellen out here but I haven't tried it.

I did see a recipe on one of the blogs I watch for a great starch but I can't find any of the ingredients over here, it was using a liquid starch mixed with something else - I don't think we use starch much in Oz compared to our American sisters.

I love this site and reading about all the different techniques, I hope you enjoy it too.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I make my own

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch
    1 cup water
    1 cup of liquid febreze Lavender scent

Mix well..

That's the exact recipe I saw!!

I can't find those ingredients in Sydney - I'm now on a mission.....

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I go thru soooo much starch - So I make my own.. However I do use/have best press Lavender of course, but its only for on the finished top..For piecing I use the cheapo stuff. Suites me fine. Just be careful it does flake from time to time..

Faultless Premium Professional Starch

The bottle says:

"Pure Cotton Scent"
    "Helps Make Clothes Look New"
    "No Flaking on Dark Colors"
    "Speeds Ironing"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewSydney
    That's the exact recipe I saw!!

I can't find those ingredients in Sydney - I'm now on a mission.....
    Try looking for corn starch in your supermarket. The kind of thing sold to thicken gravy! You can add a few drops of Lavender oil to it.

If you can't find Sta-flo to mix your own, you can make your own by using cornstarch & water. If you google homemade spray starch you'll see many recipes. Just remember when you do make your own, put in fridg after using and shake before using. :D

I purchased a HUGE container of cornstarch at Sam's Club for very little $$$ like maybe $3.

Spray starch for me. Let it dry and then press.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I make my own

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch
    1 cup water
    1 cup of liquid febreze Lavender scent

Mix well..
    This is the exact recipe that I use and I absolutly love it. I have not had any problem with flaking either. I used the dollar store fabric freshner and it worked great also.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board. We all have our favorite starches. I like to use Best Press for clothing. For my quilt making I use Niagra heavy starch if I just want a light starch and Sta-Flo 1/2 & 1/2 with water for flannels and a heavier starch. You can also delete that down more for a lighter starch.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaM
    Craftygirl,

I use the spray starch - have both the regular and double starch - depends how stiff I want the fabric to be which I use. But there have been a few recipes for making your own starch that you put into a spray bottle that I will try soon!

You can use the "Search" link on the menu at the top to look for previous discussions.

Linda
    What is the purpose of the starch?

I get Niagra Liquid Starch in a large bottle and add it to a spray bottle and use it half and half with water.

I get the concentrated gallon bottle of Sta-Flo starch, dilute it normally 50/50, put in a spray bottle and spray my fabrics. This way it costs about 1/10th the amount of the commercial starch, and if I want it stiffer, then I change the dilution amount. I spray on the right side of my fabric, let it "soak" a minimum of 2 hours, then air dry or put in the dryer for a few minutes, take out, mist with water, iron.

The purpose of the starch is your cuts of fabric and the blocks will have a nicer "finish", your seams will also take a crease better and so will look better. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    The purpose of the starch is your cuts of fabric and the blocks will have a nicer "finish", your seams will also take a crease better and so will look better. In my opinion.
    Thank you! I am ready to try it. I have Faultless and a spray bottle.

Blog Entries
    I use spray starch. It's the only aerosol can in the house!

Craftygirl, I buy 'Pearsons' concentrated laundry starch, only some Coles supermarkets. Dilute approx. 1/2 and 1/2 or stronger if required. Comes in an orange litre bottle.

Blog Entries
    I use Niagara in the pump spray all the time. Depending on how stiff I need it, I will sometimes dilute with water. I use it undiluted for bias edges. It is inexpensive and easy to use. I like the way it helps the pieces hold their shape and it makes the seams lay flatter.

A lot of new methods of piecing are calling for the painting on of spray starch as a sort of glue before stitching. A lot of American videos that I have seen demonstrate the use of freezer paper and then the starch is sprayed into a container, (or lid) so that it can be painted onto the paper, and the material is then temporarily stuck to it. I think that is about the only time I would bother to use the starch (at least for now) as I don't wash my fabric and it has enough sizing in it to keep it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaM
    Craftygirl,

Linda
    What is the purpose of the starch?
    Using spray starch will stiffen your fabric so it doesn't stretch and go out of shape for you during piecing. A lot of shapes you end up sewing on the bias and it'll stretch and get wonky on you. So it assists you in reaching a better block without, if any, squaring up.

Its a good thing!!
    :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast