Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starching question >

Starching question

Starching question

Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM

this is probably a really dumb question but when you starch do you also use steam?

also, why does some fabric seem to take to the starch (get stiffer) than other fabric? I had one fabric that didn't seem to feel any different and another that got really stiff.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 AM

I usually don't use steam when I'm pressing my quilt fabric wether I use starch or not. It just depends on what I'm making. I think it's more a personal preference than anything else. Steam will stretch the fabric, so you want to be careful when working with bias edges.

I don't have a clue why some fabric won't get stiffer when using starch and others do... but I have noticed it myself. I usuallky just put more starch on that fabric, until it is as stiff as I want it to be. I would rather use more starch since it's so cheap, than to try and sew with fabric that isn't startched, and ruin something because it stretches.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't use steam ever when quilting either. I have noticed that some fabric get stiffer with starch too, I don't pre-wash, so I just figured that that fabric had more stiffener on it from the manufacturer. Not really sure though.

Rachel
Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 AM

My rules are not so rigid. If there is water in the iron and the iron is set to steam, I use steam. If the water runs out, I don't use steam anymore. It hasn't adversely affected by fabric or blocks in any way.

If a fabric isn't getting stiff enough from starch, I just starch it again!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
My rules are not so rigid. If there is water in the iron and the iron is set to steam, I use steam. If the water runs out, I don't use steam anymore. It hasn't adversely affected by fabric or blocks in any way.

Hehe oh yeah I should add that actually the only reason I don't use steam is because my iron never has water in it and I am way too lazy to refill. :) :)

Rachel
Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM

I use Sizing instead of starch. It is less stiff and what most fabric makers use to stiffen(sp?) their fabric. I don't use steam.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13

ditto :!:
Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 AM

I like to use starch to cut down on the stretching when sewing. Also it helps on the ironing to get the all the wrinkles out. I mix my own starch and put a few drops of essential oil in it (lemongrass for me) so it really smells nice and gives me a good feeling when ironing.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM

i always wondered this too but when i looked up homemade starch this morning it said to make sure u use steam.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I have found that some of the sizing prevents the starch from soaking in very well.
Some I have to spray once, others 2-3 times to get it stiffer when needed.

I use steam only if the fabric has completely dried, and the fabric is fairly stiff.
If you are actually "ironing" with steam on non/lightly starched fabric, and not "pressing" it, you can cause the grain to distort. :wink: