Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about starching

Spray starch, but try it on the fabric first - I had a friend who used it on some 30's fabrica and it changed the color. I use Best Press not starch. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Thank you all so much. I will definitely try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I go thru soooo much starch - So I make my own.. However I do use/have best press Lavender of course, but its only for on the finished top..For piecing I use the cheapo stuff. Suites me fine. Just be careful it does flake from time to time..
    Am new to quilting--only on my 2nd. What is the purpose of starching before piecing, etc.

If you spray on one side and press on the other side you will not get any flaking. Heavy starch is for bias strips--spray and press twice before cutting.
    I have not made my own starch yet but intend to when I run out of what I have. Last purchase was a spray bottle that I can reuse for making my own--didn't have any empty spray bottles in the house!

I use a 50/50 solution of Sta-Flo like others here. I don't see a need for the febreeze, but I guess it would be nice if it smelled nice.

I have no problems with flaking. I saturate it with the spray and toss in the dryer for a few minutes. I LOVE the effect. My points were pointy, my seam connection perfectly match, my bias edge triangle things don't warp or stretch. I cannot preach enough about it.

I was a beginner when I started using it. I started to dabble in more triangles and funky shaped pieces. While I'm more of an advanced beginner, I wouldn't have been able to piece so accurately without the starch. Sta-Flo is great and so much cheaper than the sprays at the store.

I haven't used spray starch but I want to try it. The recipe I found is 1 tbsp. corn starch to 2 c. water.

I use the same 2 T corn starch to 2 cups water then add a couple drops of lilac oil of essence and about 2 T of vodka to keep it from going bad. I keep getting teased that my friends could drink my spray starch and get high. grin I also keep it in the refrigerator between sewing sessions. Be sure to shake it well when you go to use it again. The corn starch settles to the bottom when left stand.

Welcome to our Board.

i use Spray on starch that comes in a spray can both i have seen many buy and mix there own it is what ever is easier for you

I think when you starch your fabric really well it makes it easier and more accurate for cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    I think when you starch your fabric really well it makes it easier and more accurate for cutting.
    I agree with you!!

Power Poster
    spray starch.

MARY ELLENS BEST PRESS.....WONDERFUL.......COMPLETELY CHANGED THE LOOK OF MY BLOCKS...SO CRISP......BEST THING I HAVE EVER USED...I DO ALL MY IRONING WITH IT TOO.

Blog Entries
    All these names don't exist over here in Oz. We have one called Preen. I think I'll try making my own.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I use spray on starch I use Mary Ellen's best press it is supposed to make ironing easier, smell wonderful, no flaking , non clogging, acid-free, leaves no residue, relaxes stubborn wrinkels, doesn't attract bugs (my favorite) makes fabric look new. (this is how it was sold to me. My has a lavendar scent.
    Me too except I like Caribbean Beach. It can be ordered online in gallon refill bottles.

Do you spray before you cut the fabric or before you piece it togather?

Great, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Davida
    Do you spray before you cut the fabric or before you piece it togather?
    I like to starch before I cut it out. It makes it a little easier to cut accurately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewSydney
    That's the exact recipe I saw!!

I can't find those ingredients in Sydney - I'm now on a mission.....
    Corn starch is what we call cornflour. Hope that helps. Can remember my grandmother & mother using it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftygirl
    All these names don't exist over here in Oz. We have one called Preen. I think I'll try making my own.
    . Cornstarch =cornflour

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crlyn
    Craftygirl, I buy 'Pearsons' concentrated laundry starch, only some Coles supermarkets. Dilute approx. 1/2 and 1/2 or stronger if required. Comes in an orange litre bottle.
    I use Pearsons but must try the alcohol to stop it going off. Have had it happen a few times.
    I also use it for machine embroidery

I am in Aust. too and never heard of Sta flo, Febreze I know of is to spray on furniture, rugs etc. to freshen them up, is that the stuff?. Actually I have never used starch in quilt making (or on clothes, remember mum using it though),

Here's a link to a wonderful video tutorial on ironing and starching from Leah Day:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/starchfabric.htm

Blog Entries
    I've looked and asked around but I could only find the StaFlo in an aerosol can. I would like to find it in the powder form so I can make different concentrations but when I ask at the stores they look at me like I've asked for the unobtainable and just point at the aerosols. I tried Niagara spray pump and really do like it

Sta Flo is a concentrate, not a powder, it comes in a blue bottle in the states. I don't know if that will help or not. This is a web page telling about it.

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=7337

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast