Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Tiny Scraps in the Blender (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-tiny-scraps-blender-t157536.html)

oksewglad 10-03-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Oksewglad, Thanks for helping. I just read it. I'm wondering if regular fabric bits could be used to do this as well.?

You're welcome! I'm thinking outloud here, but would the colors blend together and make the mix look gray, sorting by color might be needed. Just a thought. Let us know what happens.
QuiltE are you going to try it?!! G

QuiltE 10-03-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Oksewglad, Thanks for helping. I just read it. I'm wondering if regular fabric bits could be used to do this as well.?

You're welcome! I'm thinking outloud here, but would the colors blend together and make the mix look gray, sorting by color might be needed. Just a thought. Let us know what happens.

Nope ... My immersion blender would choke right out!

Yes, the colours might all mix together. Wonder if you could to the pulpy mix and add in some chips of the coloured pieces?

Greenheron 10-03-2011 05:07 PM

When we made blender paper in kindergarten we did not let it dry in the forms. Put the forms on a screen over a can and poured the paper/fabric pulp into the form. After it drained we turned it onto blotting paper to dry. With the glue binder you might turn the fabric mush out of the mold onto plastic wrap or glass or teflon. I should hold it's shape before it's dry and sticks to the form/mold. I suspect it won't stick to the form with the pan spray or nothing at all depending on which white glue you use.

Greenheron 10-03-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Nope ... My immersion blender would choke right out!

Yes, the colours might all mix together. Wonder if you could to the pulpy mix and add in some chips of the coloured pieces?

It depends on how long you blend. I'd do pulp first and then give the fabric bits a quick whirl.

jaciqltznok 10-03-2011 05:34 PM

Hi QuiltE, I just got a VitaMix from a freecycle group and I think I will try it in that...first I will rotary cut the bits into smaller bits....the threads will be chopped up so they won't be able to wrap around the blade. I would drain the mush in a strainer then add some elmers glue to it..but what kind of a mold could I put it in so that it won't stick to the sides. Are there teflon cookie cutters? Maybe I could shape the mush by hand or by pushing it around on the non-stick foil. Hmmmm. Ideas anyone???

merciful heavens at the cost of a vitamix, I would NOT be chancing it by putting fabrics in it...try a crosscut paper shredder first!

I also read the original post and wondered, what keeps the denim from falling apart in moisture? I would think you need elmer's glue in that mixture, or seal them with epoxy of some kind. If not, any moisture hits them and they are going to fall apart!

I can see where denim works great in the blender, different weave in the fabric make up..for cottons, maybe it does not work..too thready/stringy...

Honchey 10-03-2011 06:11 PM

Hi Guys, I'm going to a software class tomorrow but I'm definitely going to try this on Wednesday. I was given the older Vitamix from a freecycler wheich means Free....I wouldn't chance it on something I paid alot of money for....besides the scraps are already bits and the threads are chopped up too. I'm just hoping that the mixer will emulsify the pieces...make mush. Oh well, I'll find out Wednesday....I'll take some photos and post them as I go along. This should be alot of fun! :P :P

oksewglad 10-03-2011 06:14 PM

I'll be waiting as it sounds like a fun thing to do with the GK's