Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Tiny Scraps in the Blender >

Question about Tiny Scraps in the Blender

Question about Tiny Scraps in the Blender

Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi, Several months ago a member here explained how she made cookie cutter forms from tiny scraps. I neglected to bookmark the page and I'm hoping someone here on the board would know where I can find it. I now have 2 containers full of scraps that look like confetti. Help!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Did you use the search feature? Perhaps search for cookie cutter?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

It was in a denim thread--will try to find it for you.

Here it is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102015-10.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Oksewglad, Thanks for helping. I just read it. I'm wondering if regular fabric bits could be used to do this as well.?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey
Oksewglad, Thanks for helping. I just read it. I'm wondering if regular fabric bits could be used to do this as well.?
I just read it too. I think I'd be worried about the threads getting tangled into the blender and not getting them free from the blades!

I don't see why regular fabric bits wouldn't work. Could be quite pretty with an assortment of colours.

Try it and show us the results! :)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Hi QuiltE, I just got a VitaMix from a freecycle group and I think I will try it in that...first I will rotary cut the bits into smaller bits....the threads will be chopped up so they won't be able to wrap around the blade. I would drain the mush in a strainer then add some elmers glue to it..but what kind of a mold could I put it in so that it won't stick to the sides. Are there teflon cookie cutters? Maybe I could shape the mush by hand or by pushing it around on the non-stick foil. Hmmmm. Ideas anyone???
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi QuiltE, I just got a VitaMix from a freecycle group and I think I will try it in that...first I will rotary cut the bits into smaller bits....the threads will be chopped up so they won't be able to wrap around the blade. I would drain the mush in a strainer then add some elmers glue to it..but what kind of a mold could I put it in so that it won't stick to the sides. Are there teflon cookie cutters? Maybe I could shape the mush by hand or by pushing it around on the non-stick foil. Hmmmm. Ideas anyone???
Will have to send this one off to a friend ... she was just telling me yesterday about her wonderful new VitaMix that'll go thru anything!! :)

I'm pretty sure there are teflon cookie cutters.

How about spraying a regular plastic or tin cookie cutter with vegetable spray?

There are silicon mini-moulds that would do the trick, I bet.

I bet it takes forever for them to dry!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM

You could also make a confetti quilt. Look up in the search for confetti quilt teacher. That's what I'm doing with my tiny pieces.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

We did this a lot a few years ago. If you google paper casting, there's lots of info with different recipes. Altough it's called paper casting, cotton fiber is always used as a binder. You can use ceramic cookie molds/stamps or decorative shortbread pans from Rycraft, Brown Bag or Pampered Chef
http://www.cookiestamp.com/
http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/
You can spray the molds with Pam to make the casting release. Use a paper towel to soak up excess spray first.
A couple of notes of caution, it is really fun, but messy! A great outdoor activity, if you do it indoors, have lots of towels!
Leaving them on a cooling rack on the counter overnight will also usually dry them. But if you want to reuse the mold right away, CAREFULLY dry them in a microwave. Like try 10 or 20 seconds, and the mold will be extremely hot, so use one of your home made quilted potholders!!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info and links - I was wondering about this too but I didn't find anything using the search. :)