Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about a treadle sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-treadle-sewing-machine-t20999.html)

dvseals 06-05-2009 11:08 AM

I agree with everyone else who said grab it :) if it were within 3.5 hrs of me at that price I'd be in the car already ;) ;)

humbird 06-05-2009 11:11 AM

It's beautiful! Is it a singer? I'd go for it at $35. If its in good running cond. you could get your money back then some if you decide you didn't want it. I have a treadle, and love it. Don't use it a lot....keep it at the cabin for backup.....but boy, that thing can sew a mighty pretty seam!!

Phyllis

sewjoyce 06-05-2009 11:14 AM

Wow, $35 is really cheap! Run and grab that baby while you have a chance!! But it does take 2 men and a boy to lug the thing around :roll:

ScrapQuilter 06-05-2009 11:52 AM

Well now all of you will know how old I am....... a treadle machine was the first machine I used to sew on. Now don't be laughing...........
I also have my grandmothers old Singer tredle machine and it is my pride and joy. I don't think $35.00 for your find is to m much - and if you never use it - it is still a buy just to have one in your sewing room.
Scrap Quilter

I also have a Climax tradle machine - this one have a wooden cover - my brother-in-law saw it at a yard sale and knows how much I like old machines so he got it for me. What a guy..........

humbird 06-05-2009 12:16 PM

Scrap quilter........you aren't the only old one around here :lol: My 1st sewing was also done on a Singer treadle........sure wish I had it now! Mom traded it in on an electric model for me when I was in high school. Wish I had that one too! I picked up my present treadle at an auction about 35 years ago for $3.00. No one else would bid on it. It is a King, long bobbin, with lots of accessories and even has the manual. I was so lucky. Your "Climax" sounds lovely. I have only seen pictures of those babies!

Phyllis

motomom 06-05-2009 02:06 PM

I also learned how to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine. I loved it, and am due to inherit a treadle machine of my own. I wouldn't electrify it, because it really isn't that hard to treadle.

I borrowed a treadle to make "country curtains" for my girls when they were young. Yards and yards of ruffles had to have a tiny handkerchief hem put in them, and the treadle machine I borrowed had a hem foot and a ruffler. I ended up being VERY fast on the old treadle.

Bill'sBonBon 06-05-2009 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also learned to sew on a singer treadle. It was my Moms. I have a New Home treadle,My mom and DH bought it for me a year ago last Feb. for my Birthday. I just got the Belt put on. It has been sitting over a yr. now. I have one needle. Got to get me some more. I don't want to use it until I get more needles. It has attachments,like binder,botton hole, and others. I want the manuel have found a site on the internet,that I maybe able to get one. They can also age the machines for you. I really would like to know how old mine is just haven't made the call to find out yet. That one looks like a keeper. It takes practise to master the treadle but they sure are wonderful to sew with. Mine is in great condition.
Here is a picture of it. You can't see the treadle but it is there.
BillsBonBon

quiltingbee12 06-05-2009 03:26 PM

Get it! If I saw that..... I paid 125 for my singer treadle, and that is a great price!

crkathleen 06-05-2009 05:35 PM

I'm going to pass on the treadle. I would rather it be electric. If anyone is interested it is in Havana Illinois (Craigslist)

tlrnhi 06-05-2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
it would take 3.5 hours to go get it but the person only wants $35.

If I were THAT close ....I"D BE RUNNING TO GET IT!

hmmm......think my answer is YES? lol