Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about a treadle sewing machine

Is a treadle sewing machine where you set your feet on a plate and rock them forward and back to make it sew?
    I have an opportunity to purchase one but I was looking to find an electric one.
    Thanks

for some reason it won't let me attach a photo

ok, got it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have a chance to own a franklin treadle and its free to me couse its at my grandmas house. i have seen where they can be converted to electric by adding a motor to them. so ill bet if you got the one you are looking at and wanted to convert to electric it can be done. if i get mine im keeping it a treadle. Chris

it would take 3.5 hours to go get it but the person only wants $35.

Banned
    how cool is that!!

you'd be able to get a cardio workout and sew a quilt at the same time :lol:

you could have the best legs in town.

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    Is a treadle sewing machine where you set your feet on a plate and rock them forward and back to make it sew?
    Yes. So if you want a standard every day electric sewing machine, that's probably not what you want.

It's a lovely machine, and personally I would jump at it for $35 if it's in good working order, but I like having 'non-electric backups'. I'm keeping an eye out for one near me.

Jan

My older sisters learned to sew on a treadle machine. My aunts till has hers and I tried to buy it from her, but she wouldn't budge. I got one at an auction, but mine needs some things on it. At $35 I would do the traveling to get it!!

Good luck,
    Barb

My grandmothers treadle was converted to electric, Be warned it weighs a ton so lugging it around is not an option. I also have a treadle and want to keep it that way. I can have my grandmothers machine as it is in my mom's posession and she has said she wants me to have it, I just don't have room for another machine.

There was an article in 1 of the quilting mags about a lady who pieces and quilts all her quilts with a treadle. She has several! Don't remember which magazine.

I learned to sew on my grandmothers, still have it too. It needs some work tho, hopefully just oiling and a new belt. I say go for it! They are good basic machines with a wonderful straight stitch.

There is a site - treadleon.net - I think. They're not just for power outages....after all I still need light when I sew!

I agree with everyone else who said grab it :) if it were within 3.5 hrs of me at that price I'd be in the car already ;) ;)

It's beautiful! Is it a singer? I'd go for it at $35. If its in good running cond. you could get your money back then some if you decide you didn't want it. I have a treadle, and love it. Don't use it a lot....keep it at the cabin for backup.....but boy, that thing can sew a mighty pretty seam!!

Phyllis

Wow, $35 is really cheap! Run and grab that baby while you have a chance!! But it does take 2 men and a boy to lug the thing around :roll:

Well now all of you will know how old I am....... a treadle machine was the first machine I used to sew on. Now don't be laughing...........
    I also have my grandmothers old Singer tredle machine and it is my pride and joy. I don't think $35.00 for your find is to m much - and if you never use it - it is still a buy just to have one in your sewing room.
    Scrap Quilter

I also have a Climax tradle machine - this one have a wooden cover - my brother-in-law saw it at a yard sale and knows how much I like old machines so he got it for me. What a guy..........

Scrap quilter........you aren't the only old one around here :lol: My 1st sewing was also done on a Singer treadle........sure wish I had it now! Mom traded it in on an electric model for me when I was in high school. Wish I had that one too! I picked up my present treadle at an auction about 35 years ago for $3.00. No one else would bid on it. It is a King, long bobbin, with lots of accessories and even has the manual. I was so lucky. Your "Climax" sounds lovely. I have only seen pictures of those babies!

Phyllis

I also learned how to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine. I loved it, and am due to inherit a treadle machine of my own. I wouldn't electrify it, because it really isn't that hard to treadle.

I borrowed a treadle to make "country curtains" for my girls when they were young. Yards and yards of ruffles had to have a tiny handkerchief hem put in them, and the treadle machine I borrowed had a hem foot and a ruffler. I ended up being VERY fast on the old treadle.

I also learned to sew on a singer treadle. It was my Moms. I have a New Home treadle,My mom and DH bought it for me a year ago last Feb. for my Birthday. I just got the Belt put on. It has been sitting over a yr. now. I have one needle. Got to get me some more. I don't want to use it until I get more needles. It has attachments,like binder,botton hole, and others. I want the manuel have found a site on the internet,that I maybe able to get one. They can also age the machines for you. I really would like to know how old mine is just haven't made the call to find out yet. That one looks like a keeper. It takes practise to master the treadle but they sure are wonderful to sew with. Mine is in great condition.
    Here is a picture of it. You can't see the treadle but it is there.
    BillsBonBon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get it! If I saw that..... I paid 125 for my singer treadle, and that is a great price!

I'm going to pass on the treadle. I would rather it be electric. If anyone is interested it is in Havana Illinois (Craigslist)

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    it would take 3.5 hours to go get it but the person only wants $35.
    If I were THAT close ....I"D BE RUNNING TO GET IT!

hmmm......think my answer is YES? lol

that is beautiful and i'd definitely go get it. I bought an old sewing machine cabinet at a junk sale and paid $35.00 just for the cabinet, no machine in it.

I would love to have a treadle machine. Maybe someday.

Kyia

I would be in the car by now.

I have my grandmother's treadle machine. Right now the TV is sitting on the cabinet and it is all closed up. I have used it as an end table by my couch, opened it up and used it in front of a window with my rocking chair next to it. (I took the needle out when the kids were little and it was on display-just in case).

Grandma used it as a night stand. I also used it in high school to finish my home ec project when the electricity went out. Had to practice the foot motion but it was fun. And I was the only one that got my project in on time :lol:

If I could find one like you found for that price....I'd grab it up in a heartbeat! :mrgreen: It has so many posibilities.....

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    I'd be On the road after it, I love my Treadles, started in 1999, have 4 all also have a motor on themexcept my Living Room one,but I don't use the motors but I can switch back and forth, Comes in REAL HANDY!!! We got hit by an Ice Storm and had No Power for 2 weeks except we had Gas Luckily, I'd went crazy without my Treadles, Open the Drapes and Sew and Quilt, All Those old Things are New Again!!! So TRUE!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast