Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: question about a treadle sewing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Sure looks interesting- I think I would buy it if it wasn't too high and then keep looking for an electric one as well. There are several people on this board that use a treadle machine when their power goes out. I think it would be fun to own one!
    Yes, well I own one but it isn't operational. I want to get it restored, or at least working. It isn't frozen, but there is a belt missing and the shuttle. I have no idea how to find someone in our area of South Louisiana to do such work.

I sewed on a treadle in my first year of home ecomonics. We all started on the treadle and worked "up" to the electric. Am I dating myself? (I was already sewing on an electric one at home.)

dae
    Do you folks know that there is a quilting group that uses HAND CRANK sewing machines?? They are fairly small and lots of RV'ers take them along and sew on card tables while camping. They swear by them.
    I have a friend who does sewing machine repair in Avoca, Iowa-50 miles from Omaha, Neb. on I-80 ( Parsons Sewing Machine Repair). He also has quite a few machines he has bought and repaired that he sells very reasonably. 712-343-2169

I own a Free Treadle sewing machine. It can be tricky to get the cable the correct length so it pulls the gears but I haven't been more proud of the capabilities. People used to be more precise and had pride in their work. It's a beautiful thing!

Buy it that a really good deal.

I learned to sew on a treadle and currently use a hand crank quite often. Been looking for a treadle for awhile now but the ones I see on ebay that are any good at all the seller will not ship. If I were you - I'd definitely get it. Power goes out - you can still sew - so what else matters?

Gloria

yep, that pretty much describes a treadle. $35 is a terrific price, just
    make sure its in working condition. I have my grandmas old singer
    treadle and it still works, only does straight sewing but sometimes
    thats what I want and its great when the power goes out.
    Catlady

You can sit outside on the patio and sew to your hearts content and not worry about having electricity. I love my hand crank but really want a treadle also. I believe it is called addiction!!!

Gloria

definitely get it. it's getting impossible to even find them in working order with the cabinet in good shape. also, new home is the forerunner to what is now janome. and the ones with the covers on top are even rarer. think of it as an investment that can be used while it appreciates in value.

there's hardly anything to break down, either.

edit: and it's beautiful to look at, isn't it?

Grab that sucker!!! $35.00 !! I wish I had my Grandmothers. I can remember sewing on that thing when I was a kid. My Mother-in- law still has her but I would have to fight 6 SILs to ever get my hands on it.

That is what they taught us on in our home economic classes in high school! I have my grandmothers, who passed away before I was born, but it needs a new belt on the treadle! I'm like the others.........go get it! I would be in the car also!

Quote Originally Posted by okie3
    Grab that sucker!!! $35.00 !! I wish I had my Grandmothers. I can remember sewing on that thing when I was a kid. My Mother-in- law still has her but I would have to fight 6 SILs to ever get my hands on it.
    I don't mean to start a feud or anything but it seems that you would win out over the in-laws. YIKES. {{{{{{{{{only kiddiing}}}}}}}} :lol:

I have a treadle machine that was my great aunts. it was the only machine she had and she even sewed knits on it. missionaries from our church in Bangladesh said that they used treadles over there and even had treadle sergers! talk about a workout!

My daughter bought a singer treadle today at a garage sale for $40.00 lots of extra stuff in the draws. small wooden cases for needles, old button 2 sets of attachments...veery ornate..i just posted it in pictures. It is mine as long as i want it
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

OoooH You Lucky, Lucky Lady --------- you can send that beauty my way any time!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2