Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Question >

Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Question

Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Question

Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 AM

Default Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Question

Can anyone tell me what year and model this is? I saw it on a bulletin board recently. I don't think the person who has it really knows much about these machines by what they posted.

It states "Old Singer sewing machine. I think it is a CH model and not all that old. I think it works as it has thread loaded."

We all know just because something is threaded does not mean it works. Sounds like this person knows nothing about sewing machines if they haven't tested it out.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

clsurz
Attached Thumbnails singer-treadle-table.jpg   singer-treadle-machine.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 AM

it looks like a singer sphinx. decals are really nice, need to check serial #--could be clone from India or China. I have one but not in a cabinet. Mine dates back to 1898 the year my grandma was born. I am trying to find a nice cabinet for it, so I can put it back to a treadle. went to look at mine. the sphinx is over to the right farther and the serial # is right in front by the pillar on the left. I think this is a repro.

Last edited by amyjo; 08-29-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM

I'm sure not an expert but it looks like one of those newer machines made to look like the old ones. The decals look too new and not quite right. Someone that is more familiar with them will pop in and comment, I'm sure. It looks like it's in a treadle cabinet but I don't see any belt... or where you would put a belt. Is there a motor?

Something just doesn't seem right on this one, sorry. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM

I think you gals are right. It does look to new, has no belt, and would not surprise me if a repro. I've sent an email to the person who has it for more info such as trying to find a serial number, etc.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM

Yep, Chinese reproduction. Here is a link for you with a lot of info.
http://www.singeroriginalvintageprod...INBOX1973.aspx
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Banned

shows the shift in morals driving business....
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Singer isn't Singer any more. Singer is just a name used by a corporate giant to stick on mass produced generic machines.

And Singer isn't the only company to have done this. Most of the old time American companies have deserted us. Our own government is to blame.

That said, I'd like to have one of those Asian made Singer treadles for my collection. Just because they are so over the top with the decals.

Joe
Well, these were allegedly made in Singer factories in China, when Singer was still the Singer Manufacturing Co.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM

We didn't used to "shop for bargains". After WWII our own government basically gave our industries the death poison when they opened up our markets to our former enemies whose industries just switched from war production to in this case sewing machines. With their cheaper wages and overhead our own industries could not compete. That was the start of the cheapening of our products. Trying to compete. They couldn't do it.

I could go on, but the moderators have been deleting my posts at an alarming rate recently so I'll stop.

A bargain is getting a good item for a good price. Not getting junk for a good price.

OK, I'm done and we can agree to disagree.

Joe
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM

FYI- an original Taiwan Singer Memphis repro in shipping box on Craigslist NJ. Just spotted this yesterday
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hsh/4016399368.html
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM

I'd offer $20, then go and take it.