Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on bias binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-bias-binding-t61336.html)

laughingquilter 08-25-2010 01:12 PM

Do any of you use the "continuous bias binding" method when you make your binding? I have a binding that I want to cut on the bias because of the pattern design - I've seen this method used where you sew it into a tube and do a continuous cut.....any thoughts on this from anyone?

ube quilting 08-25-2010 01:25 PM

Try it on a piece of other fabric first to see if you like doing it. I like this method and when you attach it to the quilt use a walking foot. There is also a great method for finishing your binding so there is no fold over and open seam. It is hard to discribe here. I found the insructions in Leisure Arts book
'Quilters Complete Guide', by

ube quilting 08-25-2010 01:25 PM

Try it on a piece of other fabric first to see if you like doing it. I like this method and when you attach it to the quilt use a walking foot. There is also a great method for finishing your binding so there is no fold over and open seam. It is hard to discribe here. I found the insructions in Leisure Arts book
'Quilters Complete Guide', by
M. Fons & L. Porter
It is a good tutorial book from A to Z. The finish binding info is on page 97 and continuous binding is on page 95. My other favorite book is by Rodale:
'The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide'
These two books have a welth of info in them and are worth the investment. They are teaching tools and I refer to them all the time. Good luck with the binding. Hope you can use this info!

Pat and pups 08-25-2010 01:34 PM

To add to this question: how do you know how big to cut the fabric to make the tube?

ube quilting 08-25-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
To add to this question: how do you know how big to cut the fabric to make the tube?

To estimate size of square needed given the length of binding you want: add about 20 extra inches for corners and finishing. You will need a calculator that has a square root symbol. Most calcs have this.

Length of bias X width of strip = area of strip
Square root the number you get for the area of strip
example: 450" long X 2" wide = 900"
enter 900 on calc. and hit the square root symbol you will get the number 30. so a 30" square will give you 450" of 2" wide binding. hope this helps!

ube quilting 08-25-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
Do any of you use the "continuous bias binding" method when you make your binding? I have a binding that I want to cut on the bias because of the pattern design - I've seen this method used where you sew it into a tube and do a continuous cut.....any thoughts on this from anyone?

Go to the tutorial at the bottom of the page for how to bind quilts!

KatFish 08-25-2010 02:04 PM

I uses this all the time. I save all all the leftovers for my scrap quilts.

quiltin chris 08-25-2010 03:27 PM

I never use bias binding unless there are curves involved.
I usually cut binding strips across the grain then join the strips with a diagonal seam.
There is a wonderful video on quilterstv.com featuring Holice Turnbow who is a quilt judge. He cuts his binding across the grain unless he is doing binding for scallops. His video was very good--long but very informative.
Chris

Prism99 08-25-2010 03:59 PM

I don't like the tube method of making continuous bias binding because of the frequency of seams in the binding. I prefer to cut my fabric into bias strips as long as I can make them, then piece them together. The leftover triangles from the fabric are large, so can be used in other projects.

My favorite binding to date was a stripe that I cut on the bias. Planning to do this for some Christmas quilts in a red candy stripe.

I use straight-grain binding on most quilts, but bias binding when I want that candy stripe effect (or have curved edges on the quilt).

KLO 08-26-2010 01:33 PM

This is also my favorite way to make binding because it goes together so quickly. I have laminated directions from Fons and Porter called "Quilters "Need-To-Know" card. I have had it a long time. It has lots of info on both sides and one of the sections contains the steps for making the continuous binding. I have to pull it out all the time for the measurements.