Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for "Craftsy Unlimited" Members (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-craftsy-unlimited-members-t294789.html)

thrums 02-14-2018 03:31 PM

Question for "Craftsy Unlimited" Members

For those of you who have enrolled in Craftsy Unlimited:

What are your thoughts about it?

I'm wavering. The cost of one year is approximately the cost of purchasing 6 classes ($20 each).

Thanks.

SusieQOH 02-14-2018 05:39 PM

I'm not enrolled and I'll tell you why- I don't have the time to devote to hours of watching.I know myself- if I was paying 15.00 or so a month I would be mad that I wasn't spending the time to watch the shows. I barely have enough time to watch the classes I've bought- around 6 or 7.
I'm sure there is an audience for it but I'm not one of them.

Teen 02-14-2018 06:29 PM

Unless I'm disciplined enough to watch the hours of classes enough to get the price break, I avoid memberships. For me, they are not cost effective. YouTube virtually teaches you everything. If not, then I buy a class individually. Just depends on you and what you plan to do with your membership. It's a personal choice.

Austinite 02-14-2018 07:07 PM

I prefer to buy classes as I like, my schedule is way too unpredictable to get my $15 a month's worth.

Kwiltr 02-14-2018 07:25 PM

I've seen it advertised and haven't investigated. I have classes I've bought both on Craftsy and IQuilt that I have not found time to watch yet, so I'm not going to buy or spend anymore until I at least do that. If I spent as much time actually quilting as I do on the internet reading about it and watching YouTube videos about it and going to quilting forums, I'm sure I'd crank out a heck of a lot more quilts than I do and probably not be as overwhelmed with quilting information and options out there. Okay, I really need to cut back on my screen time :o:D.

midwife 02-14-2018 07:30 PM

I like to play the videos while I'm sewing, or I place my tablet on the ironing board and listen/watch while I iron.

letawellman 02-14-2018 07:31 PM

I haven't done this either.
As others have said, I would be mad at myself for spending money on something I'm not using (gym membership, anyone?).

I have bought a few classes on Craftsy - and have watched them several times - but I have my own little quirks about what I'm interested in, and lately, nothing on Craftsy has been appealing. But my focus may change 6 months from now, and I may buy 2 or 3 classes back to back.

But $120 worth? Nah, I'm averaging maybe one class per year right now.

And with spring and summer around the corner, that means vegetable gardening will take a lot of my time soon.

anne2016 02-15-2018 05:50 AM

My thoughts exactly. Not worth it for me.

Originally Posted by letawellman (Post 8003626)
I haven't done this either.
As others have said, I would be mad at myself for spending money on something I'm not using (gym membership, anyone?).

I have bought a few classes on Craftsy - and have watched them several times - but I have my own little quirks about what I'm interested in, and lately, nothing on Craftsy has been appealing.

dunster 02-15-2018 05:54 AM

The difference, to me, is that I still have access to the individually purchased classes years later. If I have a membership, my access expires when the membership does. And I wouldn't want to commit to having a membership longterm.

Software companies, like Microsoft, have also gone this route and I hate it. I'd much rather own my copy of Office than have to rent it, and I take that option whenever I can.

maminstl 02-15-2018 06:47 AM

I would not sign up for a year, but might try a month or two if I want to dive in to a specific skill. I would like to reupholster a chair and they have a number of classes available although I don't know which one might be best - so I can see them all and pick out the information I want. I own lots of classes, some that I have not watched yet, but will when I need to.